Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Introducing a bottle- when?

(4 Posts)
chocolatescones Sat 02-Dec-17 09:54:19

Our little boy is 2 weeks old, he’s our second, he’s EBF currently (our little girl was EBF until 1 year old). But we’d like to give him a (formula) bottle sometime in the evening to a) help sleep (hopefully!) and b) mean I can get a longer stretch of sleep in if I need it whilst hubby feeds him.
Any advice for when to do this- in terms of weeks and also what time of the evening to do it? He cluster feeds from 6pm until about midnight at the moment but hoping soon he may feed at 7-ish and 10-ish.
Thanks!

underneaththeash Sat 02-Dec-17 09:58:29

I added a bottle of formula at 5 weeks with all three of mine. It didn't affect my milk supply.

DH would "dream feed" them at 11pm, I would go to bed around 10.

DC1 wasn't a great sleeper even with the bottle, but the other two went down at 7pm and didn't wake until 7am from 6 weeks.

user1493413286 Sat 02-Dec-17 11:49:40

We introduced it at 6 weeks with no problem for the 10.30pm feed. It meant I could go to bed early and I think it did help her sleep until 3ish rather than 1am although some people say differently

ODog Sat 02-Dec-17 20:47:27

I would be wary about interupting cluster feeding or replacing night feeds at such an early stage. It’s an important part of building your supply. Could you go to bed earlier and let him cluster feed while you are laying in bed. Providing the bed is set up safely for cosleeping you could doze while he feeds. It’s a short but important time for establishing bf.

Of course, you could swap in a bottle with no impact on supply but it’s not guaranteed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: