Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Help 3 week old won't stop screaming

(14 Posts)
boxesoffrogs Wed 29-Nov-17 22:31:40

As above. At the end of my tether.. please someone who has got any tips??? Tried feeding, winding, etc. But no. Dp not due back from work til midnight; and I am seriously struggling to cope.
Help?

willisurvive3under2 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:35:54

A bath? Will (s)he go in the sling?

bedtimestories Wed 29-Nov-17 22:36:41

A walk

fabulous01 Wed 29-Nov-17 22:40:02

A dummy.
And baby might be colic

I was the same with twins. A dummy was a godsend and both mine had colic which was initially diagnosed by health visitor.

smellybeanpole Wed 29-Nov-17 22:40:35

Could be colic. Try gently rubbing babies sides and if you haven’t already tried to try swaddling. How is the temp in the room ? Could be too hot or cold. Also be overtired.

StripyDeckchair Wed 29-Nov-17 22:41:34

Tiger in the tree hold? Can be very comforting for some colicky babies. There are videos online showing you how to go about it.

INeedNewShoes Wed 29-Nov-17 22:42:08

When my DD got in this sort of pickle I'd put her in the pushchair and walk/shuggy (either inside the house or outside).

misstiggiwinkle Wed 29-Nov-17 22:46:12

Put the baby down for 30 seconds somewhere safe and step out of the room.

Breathe.

Start the cycle again; feed, wind (until you are sure there’s nothing left in there), nappy change, swaddle tightly, download a white noise app and play it loudly, put down to sleep.

In my experience a really screaming baby (unless on going and colic) is often down to either hunger or over tiredness. At least by doing the whole cycle again you can tick off a few of the ‘could it be this’ questions

Hope it helps

misstiggiwinkle Wed 29-Nov-17 22:49:54

Oh and a newborn can be hungry mere minutes after it’s just fed. The line between satisfied and hungry is very fine

GinUnicorn Wed 29-Nov-17 22:53:26

Feed. And take a few minutes to realise you are doing a great job and no matter how much of a good mum you are they sometimes just scream.

Practical tips of feeding doesn't work
1 swaddle
2 make shh noises
3 gently rock or sway then
4 lightly tap their bottom
5 try a dummy

Sending hugs it does get easier xx

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Nov-17 00:07:22

One of my babies would always fall asleep if we went for a drive, no matter what state he was in to start with. Have you got a car? Can you drive?

madwoman1ntheatt1c Thu 30-Nov-17 00:13:27

I would dance with ds. For hours each evening. Having him facing away from me, leaning on me, and holding him upright. on particularly bad nights i would grab a duvet or blanket and go and stand on the doorstep (still rocking) - there was something about the complete change of scenery that almost surprised him out of whatever he was screaming about. (He needed feeding every two hours on the dot though - so it was just for an hour and a half before i fed him again.) I was alarmingly skinny with ds because it was a fairly constant round of feeding and dancing to keep him quiet.

just a dummy worked for dd1. dd2 was a swaddler as long as one arm was out.

Good luck.

SilverBirchTree Thu 30-Nov-17 00:15:44

Are you breastfeeding? Does that work?

boxesoffrogs Thu 30-Nov-17 17:44:07

Thanks for all the replies and tips, eventually got her quiet with a combination of breastfeeding, rocking and dummy. Then she had an absolutely massive poo (pretty sure it weighed more than she does) so it might have had something to do with that..! Will try all of the above suggestions. It’s a shame they don’t come with an instruction manual isn’t it?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: