Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

3yo doesn't play with other children...

(5 Posts)
Anticyclone Wed 22-Nov-17 20:54:57

August born 3yo DS is settling well into his 3h a day of free nursery. He's never been in any formal childcare before so not used to spending extended periods without us and with other children. Although obviously we've had friends around and gone to play groups etc when he was younger.

We had a parents evening recently, and his key person told us everything was going great, apart from the fact that DS didn't seem interested in playing with other children. He's fine on his own or with other adults, but isn't playing with his classmates.

Should we be worried about this, or will it come in time? He's one of the youngest there, so bound to be a bit behind socially. His key person kept mentioning how we should be pushing his social side with more playdates etc...bit I'm not sure if that's a bit over the top?

waterrat Fri 24-Nov-17 21:59:21

I have a similar child. Why do you think its over the top to have playdates? I would agree it's helpful for them at this age to learn how to make friends and work out how other children think and feel about things.

I think its very normal and my daughter is the same....i think its definitely good to help them become a little more social. Its something they may need support with.

A good nursery should also ve doing work to help with it themselves.

Crumbs1 Fri 24-Nov-17 22:10:58

It’s perfectly normal for 3 year olds to play alongside other children rather than with them. The nursery worker has limited child development knowledge from what she’s said. Don’t worry at all. Children aren’t usually properly social until 4/5 or sometimes 6 years of age.

GlitteryFluff Fri 24-Nov-17 22:13:44

My Ds is an August born 3yo, and started the free 3hrs if nursery each day in September.
He also doesn't play with the other children.
But they've said they don't expect him to yet. Just being interested in the other kids, watching them, copying them etc is enough right now.

Gwlondon Fri 24-Nov-17 22:16:05

You could
Search parallel play and see how long that happens for. That stage where children play beside each other.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: