Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Could the trend of "surprise" toys be damaging?

(18 Posts)
SnoringSnorlax Wed 22-Nov-17 16:13:31

Hi,

I may be shot down as a conspiracy theorist for this but I was thinking about the aspect of "gambling" when it comes to the latest toys like Hatchimals Colleggtibles, and Tsum Tsum blind bags etc.

A lot of the toys I'm talking about you can buy without knowing what you're going to get, so in effect you're paying your money in the hope that you are going to receive a toy you've not previously collected. You're hoping for a "super rare" one.

Is this teaching our kids gambling?

hiddley Wed 22-Nov-17 16:15:03

Have no idea what you're talking about but I think you're over-thinking things.

hiddley Wed 22-Nov-17 16:16:04

Don't ever recall a lucky bag turning me towards gambling, if that's comparable to what you're talking about.

SparklingSnowfall Wed 22-Nov-17 16:17:16

I think it's fine OP

SnoringSnorlax Wed 22-Nov-17 16:18:25

the main toys my child is interested in are ones which have an element of surprise involved, i.e. you don't know what you're actually going to end up with, like blind bags.

I am probably overthinking it, because it's akin to football stickers or cards "back in my day"

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:18:42

And what about all the hundreds of collectible cards, with associated swapsies to get rid of your duplicates? My Smash Hits sticker album didn't turn me into an invetrate gambler.

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:19:08

X post!

RoganJosh Wed 22-Nov-17 16:19:09

Or a lucky dip thing at a fair.

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:20:22

Collectable cards, that should be.

quencher Wed 22-Nov-17 16:22:11

Hatchamals are meant to be swamped like you do with cards with your fur Ed’s u till you have the characters. You have made a good point I hadn’t thought about.

quencher Wed 22-Nov-17 16:23:19

It’s meant to say “swap with your friends”

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:25:21

And I meant to say 'inveterate' before.

dontquotemeondailymail Wed 22-Nov-17 16:27:14

Hiddley

You’ve just reminded me of lucky bags! I used to love them smile

And OP, yes, you’re massively overthinking this

SnoringSnorlax Wed 22-Nov-17 16:28:04

OK Margot Loved Tom, where did I say that kids are going to be turned into "invetrate gamblers"? sheesh

MyKidAreTakingMySanity Wed 22-Nov-17 16:30:29

It's been going on forever. Ever collected Kinder's Tiny Terrapins? Maybe traded Panini cards? Garbage Pail kids stickers for the album?

BiddyPop Wed 22-Nov-17 16:35:13

There were always such things! I remember hoping to get something in particular when I was young (back in the 70s!). It hasn't made me an inveterate gambler at this stage of my life.....I don't even spend money on the lotto.

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:46:17

Well you asked if this was teaching our kids gambling? Sheesh yourself.

MargotLovedTom1 Wed 22-Nov-17 16:48:11

And I simply said my Smash Hits stickers didn't turn me into an inveterate gambler, a phrase often used for effect. See also BiddyPop's post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: