Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Getting Calpol into a toddler

(12 Posts)
FatRedCrayon Mon 20-Nov-17 10:04:55

DS, nearly 3, has a fever and hates liquid medicines. Have tried bribery, mixing it in juice, etc. I literally had to pin him down and drip it in while he cried. Awful.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Am considering getting the age 6+ meltlets and cutting them up for him (would calculate the right dosage). He might hate those too, of course!

Nowwhyareyoucrying Mon 20-Nov-17 10:13:37

I would just suggest getting it over with as quickly as possible. Cradle him with one arm behind you, you can wrap him in a blanket if easier, reassure him continuously that he will feel better once he’s taken it. Syringe bit by bit against the side of the cheek at the back of the mouth. Less chance to spit it out that way. And big cuddles and a chocolate button or whatever afterwards. Then distract with a toy, dvd or whatever he likes. Don’t dwell on it and just be quite matter of fact. It’s for his benefit as a prolonged high temp is more dangerous than a few tears. You can always try calpol and nurofen at various times to see if he has a preference, most kids do.

FatRedCrayon Mon 20-Nov-17 10:33:45

Thank you - with the exception of the blanket that’s pretty much what I did. Still horrid though as I’m having to restrain him and he’s adept at spitting it out regardless of how far into his cheek I get the syringe!

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Mon 20-Nov-17 10:54:06

You can buy childrens’ paracetamol suppositories from the pharmacy. Children don’t have the same awkwardness about medicines in this form as adults do (it’s actually a much more efficient way of administering medicines). Might be worth a try if you’re desperate?

Nowwhyareyoucrying Mon 20-Nov-17 10:54:12

I know it’s not very nice! If you blow gently on their face it it encourages them to swallow.

I’ve always found mixing it in food never really works, they notice pretty quickly and then you don’t know if they’ve had any of the dose. Slippery little creatures aren’t they!

Good luck, hope he’s better soon.

BertrandRussell Mon 20-Nov-17 10:55:50

I tend to believe that if their up to fighting they're probably fine without calpol. Plenty of fluids. Keep him cool.

Amummyatlast Mon 20-Nov-17 18:13:45

DD was the same, but would take it if we mixed it icecream (strawberry was best as it was the same colour).

yeeyeelovesraaraa Wed 22-Nov-17 21:54:19

dd takes it much better if i let her do the syringe herself. So I fill it with the required dose then she puts it in her mouth & plunges it. works a treat. Plus a little chocolate button bribery if its yucky banana antibiotics!

Council Wed 22-Nov-17 22:04:08

I'm no help at all. I had the other problem, they loved it so much that when one had it the other thought it was unfair if they didn't get it too.

Have they changed the taste since mine were little, 15 or so years ago?

FatRedCrayon Wed 22-Nov-17 22:04:50

yeeyee I tried that, he said no. Actually, he said it was yucky and ran off to hide under the table. But maybe when he’s bigger!

Strawberry ice cream is not a bad idea, I may give that a try next time. He’s much better now, thankfully!

FatRedCrayon Wed 22-Nov-17 22:06:06

Council I don’t know, but I’ve tried it and think it’s pretty foul. A friend’s twins love it though and she has the same problem you did!

Council Wed 22-Nov-17 22:07:48

In that case I agree with Bertrand, he doesn't need the Calpol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: