Talk

Advanced search

3 year old, temperature and hallucinations

(17 Posts)
MrsPringles Sun 19-Nov-17 08:34:33

This is normal right?

My poor DS has a bit of a gungy eye (I have drops from the chemist) and is generally a bit unwell in himself.

Last night, I could hear him via the baby monitor asking who was opening his door and who was at his window, err nobody?
He then started screaming like I’ve never heard him scream about the baby on his bed that was scratching his wall AND MUMMY GET ME OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW BECAUSE ITS GOING TO GET ME
Went in there, he was boiling, and absolutely freaking out.

Put him in my bed, got some calpol into him and he was still doing it, screaming about someone opening the door and all the spiders on the walls. My DH thankfully came in from his night out at this point and helped me settle him back down.

Then was up again screaming about his hands, just in bed screaming with his hands in front of them shouting that they weren’t clean and he needs to wash them.

Is this a thing? Linked to the higher temp (around 38.8) because it terrified me and he’s never done it before
He’s still asleep now so is having a lie in after his rubbish night which is good and I really hope he wakes up and feels better confused

BowlingShoes Sun 19-Nov-17 08:35:46

Yes, my DC are often like this when feverish.

MrsPringles Sun 19-Nov-17 08:55:05

That’s reassuring to know

Mynametodaywillbe Sun 19-Nov-17 09:01:50

I haven't experienced this with my own DC but do remember having horrific nightmares myself when I was feverish as a child.

Frusso Sun 19-Nov-17 09:10:29

Yes. My eldest has always had very vivid night terrors when she has a fever; eyes wide open and seemingly awake, (will answer what’s wrong type questions, and change rooms) but not awake.

Never remembers a thing once her temperature has dropped and the fever passed.

KatyN Sun 19-Nov-17 10:17:25

I still get it as an adult. I am off my tits with a temperature. Once I get paracetamol down my I stop seeing things.
Found it really distressing as a child.

MrsPringles Sun 19-Nov-17 10:52:25

He’s never done it before, it was terrifying, he was just spouting gibberish/screaming at things that weren’t there and absolutely boiling

He’s absolutely fine this morning, he doesn’t appear to have any recollection and his temp has gone right back down

And he’s using the thermometer as a sword so normal service has resumed

Lindtnotlint Sun 19-Nov-17 10:54:37

Very normal. My four year old also sees spiders in the walls in exactly that way... it’s really horrid but it isn’t a thing to worry about assuming you can deal with the temperature etc etc.

AnonEvent Sun 19-Nov-17 11:15:37

I once had an audio hallucination that my dad had got home, keys I door, door slammed, had a chat with Mum in the kitchen.

I was about 7 a d had a temp of 103’ with tonsillitis.

AnonEvent Sun 19-Nov-17 11:16:01

in door...

MsMarvel Sun 19-Nov-17 11:19:57

Ive had that before when I was little.

Was in my room 'hearing' my mum and dad shouting at me becuase it was my fault the contestant hadn't won who wants to he a millionaire. (Program we had all been watching before going to bed) I remember them sounding so so angry, amd I was sitting by my bedroom door sobbing.

My brother found me there and went to get my parents.

It sounds so ridiculous now but I still remember being so scared. It felt completely real.

Only ever happened that once though.

99yellowballoons Sun 19-Nov-17 11:22:17

When ds was once unwell with a chest infection he started freaking out about spiders and people in graves. Gave me the heebie jeebies.

Maudlinmaud Sun 19-Nov-17 11:30:15

Yes my dd has night terrors which are triggered by fever. It's really frightening.
The advice I've been given is to not interact with her when it's happening, which sounds awful because you want to comfort your dc. Instead wait until it's over and then wake them up, take them to the toilet and then settle them back into bed, give meds to take down the temp or a cool compress.
By waking them up you are hopefully stopping it from recurring later.
My dd was talking about seeing giants and thought I was a giant but thankfully could remember nothing in the morning. Dr told me night terrors and or hallucinations where quite common in children with fever.

MrsPringles Sun 19-Nov-17 16:52:32

This all makes me feel so better that’s it’s relatively common, thanks everyone

FartnissEverbeans Mon 20-Nov-17 19:04:07

My brother saw Robson Green ('that man from Soldier Soldier') staring at him from under our Xmas tree

FartnissEverbeans Mon 20-Nov-17 19:04:56

Also he thought my mum was a giant bee

I hope your wee one is better when he wakes up x

MrsPringles Tue 21-Nov-17 06:22:04

grin a giant bee?! I did laugh at that, sorry! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now