Talk

Advanced search

FTM feeding question.

(12 Posts)
OnNaturesCourse Thu 16-Nov-17 13:34:05

DD is a week old and so far, touch wood, a brilliant and content baby who has taken regular 2oz feeds every 2-2.5 hours since 2 days old. Occasionally she'll take a 1oz feed, but this just tends to be a top up between normal feeds.

Over yesterday and last night she's been looking for her bottle more, I'd say every 30 - 40 minutes but is only taking taking 1oz every time.

Shes burping fine etc, but yesterday we only got one medium sized dirty nappy.

I know feeding patterns change but could she be constipated ? Could this be why she's taking less amounts but more frequently?

Roughly how much would a 7lbs 1 week old be expected to take in terms of formula only feeding?

She was born at 38 weeks if that makes any difference.

mummykayxxx Thu 16-Nov-17 14:49:45

Hi! My son was roughly 7lb at this age and he started on 2-3oz roughly every three hours and was only having one dirty nappy a day I wouldn’t worry! He is three weeks now and only on 4oz every three hours but he also will sometimes wake for a top up. Every baby is different I wouldn’t worry, but if it’s really bothering you ask your midwife at next visit? The nappy thing is pretty normal though I think! When my son started looking for a bottle to soon after a feed, instead of giving it to him I would offer him a dummy and a cuddle and he’d go straight back to sleep! Think he just wanted the soothing! And that seemed to get him into a better pattern!

OnNaturesCourse Thu 16-Nov-17 15:04:09

Thank you

We introduced a dummy a few days ago and it's definitely loved by DD but mainly to get to sleep.

I'm trying warm bottles today, and having just given the first I'm hopeful. DD is settled and cosy, took 2oz but took it slower and less guzzly. She'd normally have it under 10 minutes including burping. 20 minutes this time.

mummykayxxx Fri 17-Nov-17 10:18:03

My little one definitely prefers warmer bottles! Sounds like it could be a winner!

mindutopia Fri 17-Nov-17 10:58:36

I think just go with it and try not to overthink it. Offer as much or as little as she wants and whenever she wants. They're always changing so it won't be constant. As long as she's having wet nappies, she's getting plenty. My dd never pooed every day. For a time, she would only go every 4-6 days (not really constipated though as constipated poo is hard pellets). That's just how they are sometimes. But all that sounds fine. If she is just having small amounts often, fine, if she is finished all bottles, just offer more. I would personally always offer formula warm. They like it more and I would suspect its less of a shock on the tummy.

mummarosie1 Sat 18-Nov-17 04:00:57

As a rough rule, I was told as many oz as hours between feeds. Eg if feeding 2hrly then 2oz.
However my little never hit anywhere near that, she was having about 50m-70ml every 3-3.5 hours and refusing anymore when she was a week old. She was pooing once every other day at this point. We were actually in hospital and the peads doctors weren’t concerned.
It’s much improved now she is 5 weeks old smile
Just encourage her to have as much as possible at each feed, that’s all you can do! We had to feed her halfway though each feed, use wet cotton wool pads on her face etc. To try and stimulate her to take an extra 10-20mls.

mummarosie1 Sat 18-Nov-17 04:01:19

As a rough rule, I was told as many oz as hours between feeds. Eg if feeding 2hrly then 2oz.
However my little never hit anywhere near that, she was having about 50m-70ml every 3-3.5 hours and refusing anymore when she was a week old. She was pooing once every other day at this point. We were actually in hospital and the peads doctors weren’t concerned.
It’s much improved now she is 5 weeks old smile
Just encourage her to have as much as possible at each feed, that’s all you can do! We had to feed her halfway though each feed, use wet cotton wool pads on her face etc. To try and stimulate her to take an extra 10-20mls.

mummarosie1 Sat 18-Nov-17 04:02:30

* we had to change her nappy halfway through the feed

mummarosie1 Sat 18-Nov-17 04:02:53

mummarosie1 Sat 18-Nov-17 04:03:23

OnNaturesCourse Sat 18-Nov-17 14:36:53

I've been doing the mid feed nappy trick too, the wet wipes seem to stir her awake.

OnNaturesCourse Sat 18-Nov-17 19:20:47

I've been doing the mid feed nappy trick too, the wet wipes seem to stir her awake.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: