Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

3 year old hates leaving house

(3 Posts)
NellMangel Fri 10-Nov-17 22:33:22

My three year olds behaviour is exhausting me. He was an easy going two year old and I'd feel all smug and proud when out and about. Now he just doesn't want to leave the house. He gets upset when going to nursery, and I understand that, but it's whenever we do anything. Trips to park, farm, soft play. He doesn't want to get in car, complains whole journey, spends first 20 minutes asking to go home, refusing to walk the direction we need to go in, sits on floor in a mood.

How common is this?

Dizzybintess Fri 10-Nov-17 22:37:03

It could be common behaviour or something you need to bring up With your health visitor. It's hard to tell at 3 as they are rather unpredictable at that age. If he has any more things that he does that you feel are unusual, there is no harm in getting support.

It may be worth using a visual timetable with pictures for activities so he knows that things are expected.

NellMangel Fri 10-Nov-17 22:44:58

Thanks dizzy I don't think I have a health visitor anymore. I moved so am out of the area of the one that did his 2 year check.

Not sure about other unusual stuff - he worries about tall things falling down, buildings, pylons etc - I wondered if this has made him anxious about going out. Today he told me a building was falling but it was just the effect of the clouds moving behind the building. I've tried to explain that it's safe and he seems to accept it and get on with playing.

I have looked at visual timetables before - maybe I should get on and do it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: