Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

How can I get my 12 year old son to eat healthily???!!

(3 Posts)
pondwatcher Fri 10-Nov-17 11:39:58

Does anyone else have this problem? My son is spending his lunch money on cookies and fizzy drinks at school. When I make a pack lunch he comes home with it uneaten. It's driving me nuts (and he doesn't even like those). wtf don't they have proper school meals like they used to with no choice. I don't see how a 12 year old given the option of a sensible hot meal and sweet treats could make the choice at that age. I've asked school if there's anything I can do but they don't seem to be able or want to help. He also doesn't brush his teeth. I need soothing and reassuring please that this is normal behaviour f or a 12 year old. I didn't really want my first post on Mumsnet to be a big long rant. Any responses appreciated (I think?! be kind please)

SweepTheHalls Fri 10-Nov-17 11:41:17

Packed lunch as he can't be trusted to make good choices.

Therealslimshady1 Fri 10-Nov-17 11:43:01

My 12 year old went through this in y7, it was too exciting for him!

We talked about it, and I said he can have one sugary thing a day. He is in yr 8 and has calmed down a bit now.

It is good for them to learn a bit of self control.

If he does not heed your advice, you can stop topping up his account and he can choose between packed lunch and being hungry.

It is between you and him, not the school imo

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: