Talk

Advanced search

What to people think of the gro clock?

(15 Posts)
Tinks15 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:27:38

Did it work for you? From what age is it suitable? Tempted to get one but I can't make my mind up.
DD is 2.4, sleep has always been crap, she is clingy of a night time, can't self settle, ends up in our bed every night etc. Moving house soon so want to do something about it all. Thanks

strawberrypenguin Thu 09-Nov-17 21:36:14

Works great for DS1. We used it from around 2.5 (I think) and still use it now at 6. Will be trying with DS2 when he’s old enough.

Lozmatoz Thu 09-Nov-17 21:50:48

Works for us, both kids use one now, 3 and 5. Started about 2.5 years.

A lot of people dismiss them. That aren’t magic, it’s the reinforcement you do with the kids that make them work. We do a lot of ‘what do you do if you wake up and your sunshine’s not on?’ questions to check their understanding. Also praise to let them know they did well.

mallardduckponds Thu 09-Nov-17 21:52:11

Not a fan personally but I know a lot of people like them

RoxanneMonke Thu 09-Nov-17 21:52:57

Brilliant. We got one when DS was 4 and it quickly got him to stay in bed till 7, rather than 5.45 every morning. Now he’s 7 he still uses it so he can see at a glance if it’s time to get up.

Alabasterangel6 Thu 09-Nov-17 21:54:04

DS is 6 and like PP has used it since 18mo. Gets grumpy if I forget to put it in and we have two settings for the week and weekend. With younger DC and introductions I'd suggest making sure you make a big fuss of being able to get up when the sun comes up - promote it being a huge success to remain in bed till that time. If you're insipid with your response to it the novelty wears off quickly!

mintbiscuit Thu 09-Nov-17 21:54:05

Didn't work for ds until he was about 3. Dd is just over 2 and takes no bloody notice yet and gets up when she wants!

APipkinOfPepper Thu 09-Nov-17 21:54:36

We’ve used it and it worked better with one DC than the other - they both got the concept but if they are not amenable to settling themselves back down when the sun is not up then you just get a running commentary on how many stars are left!!

Mrstumbletap Sat 11-Nov-17 00:53:59

Yeah love it. I think the older the get the more they understand the concept. So "is the sun on your clock?" Is all that needs to be said and my DS will go back to bed.

And you can move it later at weekends 😊

MrBloomsLeftVeg Sat 11-Nov-17 00:57:23

Rubbish as my daughter just overrode the settings (from aged 2)

WallisFrizz Sat 11-Nov-17 00:57:59

I would say it’s good if you’ve got a child who is an early riser but other than that a good sleeper willing to stay in their own bed. If you’ve got a poor sleeper who just likes co sleeping, I wouldn’t waste your money.

Mrstumbletap Sun 12-Nov-17 15:09:42

Disagree, my DS is a great sleeper sleeps from 7-7, but will sleep 7-7:30/7:45 with the gro clock.

You can hold down a certain button so children can't override the settings too.

CircleofWillis Sun 12-Nov-17 19:04:55

I had a poor sleeper who likes co-sleeping (4 years) and it took a while but now after 4 months of gro-clock she sleeps solidly until 6.30 when she can come into our bed for a cuddle.

We were very consistent and had tangible reinforcement such as vending toys to reward a whole night in her own bed.

She is happier in the mornings now as she knows exactly when she can come for a snuggle and is proud to have waited ‘until the Gro-Sun came up).

BTW she also learned how to reprogram it but we simple emphasised the time the sun came up (easier with an older child).

My dsis is so much a fan she has hinted that she would like one for Xmas - for herself.

NamedyChangedy Sun 12-Nov-17 19:28:18

It’s been invaluable for us. At 7 and 5, my two know not to bother us “until the clock is yellow”. They have started to ignore it recently, but at least they know they shouldn’t be...

Grumpbum Sun 12-Nov-17 19:29:59

It’s shit, my then 3 year old told me I was tricking him into staying in bed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: