Talk

Advanced search

How to get rid strangers/salespeople who knock and ask for things?

(36 Posts)
Walkingonsunshine1992 Thu 09-Nov-17 15:17:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IceCreamIScream Thu 09-Nov-17 15:19:08

I usually say I can't talk as I've got something on the hob that's about to boil over then close the door.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Thu 09-Nov-17 15:19:43

Happens to me when I am at work (cleaner)
Sorry I just work here ...
And close the door.

McDoggle Thu 09-Nov-17 15:20:11

Get a chain for the door and say no thanks and shut it fast if a weirdo.

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Thu 09-Nov-17 15:21:29

No thank you I'm busy right now.

Close the door/walk off.

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Thu 09-Nov-17 15:22:09

I don't give a shit about appearing rude. They are harassing me in my home or in the street. That is rude.

gamerchick Thu 09-Nov-17 15:22:22

Ultimately, I don’t care about causing offence or being rude.

The bathroom one is just plain weird though. What on earth did they really want. A warm? confused

AtrociousCircumstance Thu 09-Nov-17 15:22:45

Just immediately say “sorry, I’m busy” and close the door. Say it over them if they’re babbling on.

MaroonPencil Thu 09-Nov-17 15:27:08

With the bathroom thing I would have found that super odd - why choose my house out of all the houses in the road? I would probably have said "I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable letting you in, you could be anybody, but there's a public toilet in town, about five minutes walk away."

With selling and charities I usually say "I'm sorry, I don't buy things at the door. Thanks though" or just "no, that's not something I am interested in."

Ttbb Thu 09-Nov-17 15:27:21

It's rude of them to knock in the first place. Just shut the door.

Applesandpears23 Thu 09-Nov-17 15:31:24

Only open the door a small amount slowly and peer around it at them. When you realise you aren't interested shake your head saying "sorry, no" and slowly shut the door. Easy!

WizardOfToss Thu 09-Nov-17 15:31:55

No, thank you. And shut the door. Done.

Although I did have someone kick my door once when told no. He was obviously quite unwell!

Jaxhog Thu 09-Nov-17 15:32:35

I wouldn't let anyone I didn't know inside my house unless I'd already invited them. If you don't already have a chain - get one. There are too many weirdos around your house!

Grimmfebruary Thu 09-Nov-17 15:35:47

A jahovas witness once shoved his foot in my front door when I tried to close it because I wasn't interested in his spiel. I had been polite enough up until that point about how I wasn't interested but "excuse taking your f*cking foot out of my door before I move you closer to the almighty" did the trick...

AshleySilver Thu 09-Nov-17 15:38:39

I just smile, say no thank you and shut the door.

Littlebatcalledlucille Thu 09-Nov-17 15:40:16

I do the Homer Simpson thing.
I say. 'I'm shutting the door now'
And shut the door. They stand there all gormless for a few seconds but it works!

mustbemad17 Thu 09-Nov-17 15:40:47

Get a recording of a really aggressive sounding dog; when you open the door (just a fraction) play it behind the door & look as tho you are struggling to keep a very large dog at bay. Then say 'really sorry he doesn't like strangers' & shut the door. Works a treat 😂 (I had the actual aggressive dog, but a recording would work just as well)

Theresnonamesleft Thu 09-Nov-17 15:40:50

Ah sorry thought you was someone else. Bye. And close the door.

Freshprincess Thu 09-Nov-17 15:46:10

If someone is trying to get me to buy something I say no thanks, I can't afford it.
I wouldn't let anyone in to use the loo unless I knew them. Don't care how rude they think I am.

MargoLovebutter Thu 09-Nov-17 15:55:35

Shout through the door "who's there?". If it isn't the postman or a delivery, then you don't open the door. Easy!

IHaveACuntingPlan Thu 09-Nov-17 15:59:16

Get a peephole or one of those CCTV door bell things so you don't have to open the door at all to see who's there.

IHaveACuntingPlan Thu 09-Nov-17 16:01:16

I certainly wouldn't let any random stranger off the street in to use the loo. If I'd have opened the door to them, I'd have simply said no and closed it again, locking it behind me.

megletthesecond Thu 09-Nov-17 16:01:19

Can you check who's at the door first? I never answer my door to cold callers.

TheMythOfFingerprints Thu 09-Nov-17 16:03:22

Where do you live?! confused

Wheelerdeeler Thu 09-Nov-17 16:05:13

Anyone looking for me to buy something "I don't keep cash in the house"

I don't care how rude I am. I do not entertain cold callers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now