Talk

Advanced search

When to start back on solids after antibiotics

(3 Posts)
Kimarry Thu 09-Nov-17 14:09:11

I started weaning just before 6 months and it was going really well. We were onto 3 meals a day and had cut down on the milk (he's bottle fed and is now 7 months).

Last Monday he got a dodgy tummy and had 8 soiled nappies. He normally does 1 or 2 a day. I thought maybe I was feeding him a bit too much but then he got a cough, started wheezing and had a fever. I took him to the doc and he was put on antibiotics.

He was given antibiotics when he was born (4 weeks prem) and so we've had him on probiotics. They seem to make him more comfortable but we hope to get him off them at some point!!

The antibiotics affected his little tummy again and gave him diarrhea. It seemed like the right thing to do to stop the solids and just give him milk. He refused to have anything in his mouth for a couple of days and after that was only drinking tiny amounts. So it seemed necessary to try and get more fluids in him and forget about the solids. He finished the antibiotics on Tuesday but he still has an upset tummy. We went back to the doc on Wednesday as he's been having a lot of mucus in his nappy and there have been bits of blood in it. He also has an exceedingly sore and red raw bottom that we are treating. This has only come up since the antibiotics and I'm assuming it's because of the diarrhea and could be thrush. The doctor took a stool sample and I'm now waiting for the results of that.

Anyway, my question is when to start back on the solids? Should I wait for the results from the stool sample? Should I wait until the diarrhea has cleared up (it's little and often)? If he was older and we'd cut right down on his milk then I guess I wouldn't have put him back on a milk only diet just because he had a dodgy tummy.

Not really sure what to do. Any advice please?

LapinR0se Thu 09-Nov-17 14:58:10

Milk Ian pretty hard on tummies.
I would be doing plain toast or baby pasta or rice, mashed banana, that kind of thing

dementedpixie Thu 09-Nov-17 15:00:27

Carb rich foods would be good. Could be a temporary lactose intolerance after the tummy bug so could take a bit of time to resolve

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now