Talk

Advanced search

Pantomime 11 month old

(25 Posts)
Smarshian Thu 09-Nov-17 09:25:00

My family want us to go to the pantomime a couple of weeks before dd turns 1. She will probably be taking a few steps by then (showing signs of wanting to - standing for short periods) and is generally quite active. Pantomime is in theatre and is just under 2 hours with a 15 min break. Would we be stupid to go?

happymumof4crazykids Thu 09-Nov-17 09:26:40

I don't know of any child of that age who could sit still and watch something that long. ( or even be interested) Can't you wait a few years to take them? Even a four year old would probably struggle!

blueskyinmarch Thu 09-Nov-17 09:27:32

She is too young and will get nothing from the experience. Panto's can be loud and raucous affairs and she may be terrified as well as restless. Wait until she is 3 or 4 then go.

drinkyourmilk Thu 09-Nov-17 09:29:20

We're taking our lo who will be 9 months. It's a whole extended family event- not just for her benefit. If she hates it we will take it in turns playing in the foyer or bar /cafe area

StinkPickle Thu 09-Nov-17 09:29:20

Oh good god definitely do not attempt that!!

NannyR Thu 09-Nov-17 09:32:16

I think you would be a bit daft to go - she won't get anything out of it, you won't enjoy it either because you'll be trying to keep her still and quiet. There isn't much space at all in theatres to have a wriggly toddler on your lap.
If it's anything like our local panto, the tickets are really expensive so I would think it would be a waste of money. Save it for two years time when she's nearly 3, there's more of a chance that she will enjoy it then.

Smarshian Thu 09-Nov-17 09:32:45

It is an extended family thing - about 12 of us, we will be staying with family as they live 3 hours away. If we don't go no one will go. They won't make us feel bad about it though if we say no, just don't want to spoil everyone else's fun. Other children going etc.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Thu 09-Nov-17 09:33:24

I would take her. Great excuse to miss the thing and sit in the cafe!!

GlitteryFluff Thu 09-Nov-17 09:34:13

I'm imagining an 11month old isn't going to be quiet. Either by crying or screeching or general sounds they make or playing with toys and banging etc Don't spoil it for everyone who's paid to see it and wants to hear it. If you're prepared to miss it all because baby is being noisy and you have to go outside then fair enough but don't stay and make everyone else suffer because you don't want to miss it. And get end of aisle seat right by exit so you don't keep walking in front of everyone or making row of people stand and you can escape quickly.

Smarshian Thu 09-Nov-17 09:35:40

Good point about end of aisle seats. If she is a nightmare we would obviously take her out.

Smarshian Thu 09-Nov-17 09:43:47

So is it a definite no? Or should I just go and be prepared to miss bits?

blueskyinmarch Thu 09-Nov-17 09:48:07

If the rest of your family won’t go without you then I would say to go but accept you may miss a lot of it.

NannyR Thu 09-Nov-17 09:49:54

I don't get the "everybody goes or nobody goes thing" - we like to go to the panto as a family but last year my niece was too young (14 months) so my brother (who wasn't that bothered) stayed at home with her then we all met up afterwards for a meal.

GlitteryFluff Thu 09-Nov-17 09:51:27

Is it a daytime showing? Can you get her to nap in her pushchair or sling before you go in? Are her naps reliable time-wise? Then she may sleep through half of it, a milk feed and snack through another chunk of it?

SandSnakeofDorne Thu 09-Nov-17 09:53:38

I wouldn't risk it with my similar age baby and she is unusually patient and cooperative. Her older brother was four before he managed it (we did those half hour Xmas shows aimed at toddlers before then) and that involved a certain amount of bribery with sweets. It will be no fun whatsoever for you, she might freak out at the noise and she is unlikely to enjoy very much of it. Are there any of the shows aimed at toddler close to you? If the other kids are young then that might be a better bet.

Phillipa12 Thu 09-Nov-17 09:55:11

I have just booked the panto this year for my dc as my youngest will be 2.3 years, i would not have attempted it any earlier, and because im still not 100% sure on how he will be i have booked a box so he wont have to sit still for the whole lot and he wont disturb anybody either.

Smarshian Thu 09-Nov-17 09:55:17

You might not get it but my family would rather spend the one weekend we see each other altogether rather than some going to a pantomime and others not. They won't make me feel bad if we don't go, we will just do something different. My niece and nephew (5&7) want to go.
It will be DF and partner and her DF, DSis and partner and DNephew, DB and DSIL and DNiece, DH, DD and I.

SandSnakeofDorne Thu 09-Nov-17 09:55:26

And taking it in turns to take her out is a very rude option for people sitting near the doors. She wriggles, one person takes her out and stays out.

2014newme Thu 09-Nov-17 10:00:33

No way.
Far too young and disruptive to others

autumngold6 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:54:26

I think you should leave it until she's 3, it won't work well until then at least. Surely taking it in turns to take her out will be quite disruptive to other people in the audience?

Luckyme2 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:59:09

I definitely wouldn't take a 1 year old to a pantomime. I'm fact when I first tool my DD to a panto she was 3 and terrified by a lot of it! I didn't go again till a couple of years later. It's nice in theory but not all small children enjoy it. And that's in top of the disturbance caused to others by a crying fidgety 1 year old or people constantly getting up to leave the theatre. Do something else lovely with your family instead

mindutopia Thu 09-Nov-17 13:05:05

I think I personally would spend the day with them up until the panto and then meet them after. You don't have to spend the whole day doing something different. Just walk around the shops or go play in the park or something until they come out. But I think it seems a bit pointless. Panto is so expensive and fine if they want to pay and all, but paying for extra people seems silly and will probably ruin the experience for the people behind you as you'll be up and down so much. We took ours last year for the first time and she was about to turn 4. I think it definitely would have been too loud and frightening at 11 months. I would just meet them for lunch before/after and find something else to entertain yourselves with while they enjoy the panto.

wendz86 Thu 09-Nov-17 17:49:09

I took my 6 month old and she fell asleep but she wasn't moving at that age . 1-2 is quite a difficult age for sitting still .

Smarshian Fri 10-Nov-17 09:47:41

Thanks all. We've decided against it. Looking at a winter wonderland instead.

Youvegotafriendinme Fri 10-Nov-17 12:07:36

Tried to take DS 11month to see finding nemo the musical in animal kingdom (its 40mins long) 2 days ago and he lasted 15 minutes before he wanted to get up for a walk and wouldn’t/ couldn’t contain or convince him otherwise so we left. He watched a different show lasted 17mins and we just about managed that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now