Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Gran Canaria with a baby - car seat required?

(8 Posts)
Samila Wed 08-Nov-17 05:59:28

Hi all - we have just booked our first holiday abroad with our baby - flying to Gran Canaria when our baby will be 4 months old. We have booked via Thomson and have a coach transfer included from the airport to our resort.

What are the rules/laws about babies and car seats.

Thomson advised we are fine to have the baby on our lap for the coach transfer and that no car seat is required for this part of the journey. Is this true??

Secondly - we only plan on making a trip or two but mostly staying within the resort. Any trips we make will be in a taxi - again are babies ok to sit on laps in taxis or are they required to have a car seat?

Thanks in advance x

Stickaforkinimdone Wed 08-Nov-17 06:07:34

Regardless of the legalities, would you put your baby on you lap for just one or two trips in a car when you’re at home?

flowersWB Wed 08-Nov-17 06:16:52

Most airlines let you take your car seat and buggy free in addition to any luggage so you may as well take and use them.

slimyslitheryslug Wed 08-Nov-17 06:28:42

The rules in Gran Canaria are the same as in the U.K. In cars, children must be in the appropriate car seat; on public transport, they don't need to be.
You can take a car seat with you but I think it would be unlikely to fit on a coach seat. Obviously it would in a taxi.
Alternatives are to hire a car at the airport (what we always did) and use that rather than the free transfer and then use that when you go out. That does increase the cost of the holiday by a few hundred pounds so may not be an option.
In the U.K., we did park & ride a few times with the DC at a similar age (both at airports & the local town) and had them in a sling. I have no idea what would have happened had there been a crash but at least they wouldn't have been able to fly through the air but would have ended up wherever I ended up ... including possibly being squashed or suffocated by me.

Whattodowithaminute Wed 08-Nov-17 06:39:22

Take a car seat (I would check it in) take a sling for the airport/flight at 4 months old baby will sleep at some point and you will probably manage to sit with them asleep on you reasonably comfortably. Enjoy your holiday, travelling with a baby isn’t the easiest but you be fine

DancesWithOtters Wed 08-Nov-17 06:39:57

Is this a duplicate thread??

mindutopia Wed 08-Nov-17 10:29:03

I would bring them and treat it no differently to being at home.

Samila Wed 08-Nov-17 15:02:12

Thanks all xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: