Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

When to stop using steriliser?

(24 Posts)
Bellriver Tue 07-Nov-17 21:43:29

Just that really!

DD will be going to nursery at 6 months and I don’t know if their sterilise their bottles (suppose I should ask) The guidance is to do it until they’re a year so bit confused?

When did everyone else stop sterilising?

Bellriver Tue 07-Nov-17 21:45:22

They sterilise* not their sterilise. Shouldn’t post whilst watch masterchef!

dementedpixie Tue 07-Nov-17 21:46:04

Will you not be providing sterilised bottles for them? Yes i sterilised bottles until 1 year

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Tue 07-Nov-17 21:46:50

I did bottle until a year everything else I stoped at 6 months

troodiedoo Tue 07-Nov-17 21:47:06

Where does it say do it for a year? I stopped at two months. Dishwasher does the job.

Changerofname987654321 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:47:08

We sent in sterilised bottles.

SolidarityGdansk Tue 07-Nov-17 21:47:39

I stopped when I saw DS sucking the sole of DHs shoe probably when he was about 8 months.

Didn’t seem to be much point after that smile

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Tue 07-Nov-17 21:49:14

Sorry posted too soon.
I did used to pop the bottles in the dishwasher on a hot wash instead of using the steriliser once dcs were 6m.

ChevalierTialys Tue 07-Nov-17 21:50:18

It doesnt say one year anywhere @troodiedoo, no one said it does. Other posters gave their answers. No need to sound critical just because you did things differently.

@Bellriver we steralised everything for 6 months, then just bottles until DS was 12 months.

dementedpixie Tue 07-Nov-17 21:51:28

I'm sure nhs says to sterilise until age 1

dementedpixie Tue 07-Nov-17 21:52:50

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/sterilising-bottles.aspx

Bewiser Tue 07-Nov-17 21:53:31

Yep, 12 months for bottles if formula is in said bottles. If it's expressed milk, I think you can stop earlier and just thoroughly wash them. The nursery will probably want your bottles all sterilised and ready to go each morning (some even want them premade to go in the fridge) - I doubt they will reuse bottles throughout the day.

Bellriver Tue 07-Nov-17 21:54:21

NHS advice is to sterilise for a year
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/sterilising-bottles.aspx

so I was just trying to follow that, but it just seemed that they realistically wouldn’t stay sterile by the time they got to nursery. But yeah she likes licking pool water when swimming so probably not much point worrying really smile

troodiedoo Tue 07-Nov-17 21:55:19

@ChevalierTialys OP said "the guidance says a year", just wondered what the source of that guidance is? Hardly critical.

troodiedoo Tue 07-Nov-17 21:56:57

Thanks grin

dementedpixie Tue 07-Nov-17 21:57:06

Once they are assembled they are ok for 24 hours. It's more important that the milk is made up correctly tbh

PurplePillowCase Tue 07-Nov-17 21:58:29

at that age I woul just clean very well with soapy water & bottle brush a
followed by a round in the dishwasher.

Unihorn Tue 07-Nov-17 21:58:57

We still do at 11 months because formula is hard to get out of teats properly and can cause stomach bugs. We haven't sterilisers dummies since about 4 months old when she found things on the floor to eat. And we've never sterilised anything else.

GlitteryFluff Tue 07-Nov-17 22:05:51

Bottles we sterilised til a year. Formula can make them poorly if it's not cleaned properly so sterilised til he moved onto cows milk.

Bellriver Tue 07-Nov-17 22:17:24

Cheers all! I think I got confused cause the steriliser instructions say once the lid has been opened they aren’t sterile anymore but so long as the lid is on they stay sterile for 24 hours. So am I meant to just stare at the bottles?! Stupid instructions.
I shall send her with washed/sterile bottles and I’m sure it’ll be fine!

Bewiser Tue 07-Nov-17 22:25:26

Yeah I never understood that logic on the steriliser instructions - it would mean running the steriliser for every bottle surely?! grin Just make sure your hands are clean when you remove the lid and assemble them and it should be fine. It's the formula bacteria that it's really aiming to kill anyway and they will be long gone.

Lules Tue 07-Nov-17 22:56:05

Does your nursery not sterilise them? Mine did. I just left a couple of bottles there with his name written on them.

mindutopia Wed 08-Nov-17 10:32:53

Personally, I stopped at 5 months, but continued to wash in very hot soapy water. For nursery though, I just made up bottles in the morning and sent them with her to be put in the fridge. They never washed and sterilised them there.

Debby08 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:24:52

I stopped using sterilizer after a year but regularly washed the bottles and used hot water to rinse. Better be safe. I don't think nursery sterilize bottles there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now