Talk

Advanced search

Delaying birthday presents?

(20 Posts)
Eleast Tue 07-Nov-17 20:43:52

Our son is 3 on Friday and I’m probably the most excited out of everyone haha.
The problem is he goes to nursery on Fridays, so I don’t know when to give him his presents. If we do it first thing he won’t want to go to nursery because he will want to play. If we do it after nursery at 5.30 he won’t want to go to bed. Is it wrong to leave his presents until Saturday?
He’s taking a cake to nursery on Friday which he’s really excited about, and I will let him open a couple of things like a book and new bag & dressing gown. And then we’ve hired a bouncy castle and a proper cake for Saturday and friends are bringing presents then. I just feel awful not giving him his presents on his actual birthday but I’d rather avoid the tantrums it would bring and husband said he isn’t really aware so it won’t hurt.
Opinions?

washingmachinefastwash Tue 07-Nov-17 20:45:50

Why cant he open his presents in the morning before he goes to nursery?

Migraleve Tue 07-Nov-17 20:48:21

Omg just do some in the morning and some after nursery. I have never heard anything quite so bizarre as withholding birthday presents from a 3yo because they go to nursery that day confused

Eleast Tue 07-Nov-17 20:49:53

Because he won’t want to go to nursery. And I’d rather not have him getting really upset on his birthday. He will want to stay and play especially knowing his little brother will be at home with the toys. It’s a fear of missing out thing sometimes. I’d like him to have a fun day at nursery not be upset

Ecureuil Tue 07-Nov-17 20:50:41

DD1 is 4 on Monday and it’s a pre school day. I was just planning for her to open them in the morning, I hadn’t thought of doing anything else.

Justabadwife Tue 07-Nov-17 20:51:56

We get up about half an hour early on dds birthday so she can open her presents before she goes to school. I wouldn't make her wait an extra day.

SavageCabbage Tue 07-Nov-17 20:52:55

Get up a bit earlier so he has some extra time in the morning.

Make sure he knows his new toys are safe at home and that his brother is not going to play with him when he is at nursery.

Plan that he will have some uninterrupted time when he gets back from nursery.

Bunnychopz Tue 07-Nov-17 20:53:43

Open a small gift first and last thing but save the rest for a leisurely birthday breakfast Sunday morning?

Migraleve Tue 07-Nov-17 21:00:50

Because he won’t want to go to nursery. But he doesn't get to choose. A 3yo isn't going to be upset all day because they had to go to nursery. However if you are home anyway why not keep him off if his presents are so problematic?

Eleast Tue 07-Nov-17 21:05:23

We pay private fees and we can’t change his day without losing the money and they don’t come up cheap. I did consider it but I also thought it was nice for him to be with friends and share cake with them.
I might drop him in an hour later and that way he can have a good play. Though I’m pretty sure my husband will say I’m being silly and to stick to Saturday.

GreatBigPolarBear Tue 07-Nov-17 21:07:09

Just get him up a bit early. Make sure he knows he's going to nursery-make a big deal of the cake he's taking.
Maybe let him take a present in the car or to 'show' nursery but make it clear you'll keep it safe for him while he's there.

GreatBigPolarBear Tue 07-Nov-17 21:08:36

Missed that he didn't actually have to go!
Just let him do a half day. Or not at all if he'd rather not-it's his birthday!

Ragwort Tue 07-Nov-17 21:09:55

and I’m probably the most excited out of everyone - yes, it sounds like you are.

Don't make such a drama out of it, of course it's fine to have the presents on Saturday - give him something small on the day, plus the excitment of taking a cake to nursery etc. - maybe review the volume of gifts he is getting if the present opening is causing so much angst.

Eleast Tue 07-Nov-17 21:14:39

maybe review the volume of gifts he is getting

The silly thing is he isn’t getting that much toy wise as we don’t have much money. Which I feel rubbish about as it is. He’s main present is a scooter and then some toy cars and trains and a sticker book.

Eleast Tue 07-Nov-17 21:15:49

Maybe let him take a present in the car or to 'show' nursery

That’s a good idea thank you that with the cake will probably really help!

didireallysaythat Tue 07-Nov-17 21:16:24

We delayed a birthday a day or two a couple of times when DS1 was at nursery. I really don't see any problem - I'd do it while you can get away with it. Have the birthday on a weekend... I think that's what I'll do for my next birthday actually so it's not spoiled by work...

Lund Tue 07-Nov-17 21:20:31

It's my ds's birthday today. He's seven, so had to go to school. He had a few small presents in the morning and a couple in the evening. He'll have the rest tomorrow or maybe even the day after, he's very excited to have more to look forward to.

I think it's good when they're young to spread the gifts out a bit so they don't get overwhelmed. Your DS won't know that he's supposed he have so many presents all on one 'big day'. A couple on the day itself and the rest over the weekend sounds much better all round!

AnneOfCleavage Tue 07-Nov-17 21:43:56

If he's getting a scooter can he scoot to nursery? Or if you drive can you park a couple of roads away so he can scoot the last few minutes?

iggleypiggly Tue 07-Nov-17 21:48:27

If he doesn't have to go and you are home anyway why not keep him home? It's his birthday!

Eleast Tue 07-Nov-17 21:57:47

If he's getting a scooter can he scoot to nursery?

I’ve been thinking about this. It’s on a really busy main road and I have to drive there but I could park round the side of the building and let him scoot round the corner while I carry his little brother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now