Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Taking dummy away from toddler

(18 Posts)
twinkledag Mon 06-Nov-17 12:47:05

DS is 3 years and 3 months, loves his dummy. Generally has it at night time but he would have it more if I let him.

We are moving house at the end of the month – is it too much disruption to take the dummy off him when we move? Say new house, big boys bedroom, no dummy? Or should I give to the elves at Christmas (we have spoken about the baby elves needing the dummy).

What’s the best approach?

uhoh2016 Mon 06-Nov-17 12:59:20

Cold turkey is the best approach and distraction. The 1st 24-48 hours is a struggle after that it's fine. Just make sure you've recovered any dummies that may be hiding in the toy box etc

Loopyloo1987 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:09:12

Moving can be very disruptive to a little one so it may be a bit to much to take his dummy of him straight away. Give him time to settle in and then try.

We have recently done this with our little one. We left the dummy out on the table and the faires came and took it but left her a small gift for being a big girl where the dummy was.

The first week we had some tears and tantrums but after that she hasnt even asked for it . That was about 5 werks ago now.

Make sure ypu have all the dummies from the house as my little girl was very good at stashing them places lol smile

HamSandWitches Mon 06-Nov-17 13:14:29

3 dc who loved their dummy's. I had to just go cold turkey with bribes chucked in, nothing else worked. It was worse as the 4yr old would stash the babies dummies all over the house so she had one. She would hide 3 under her pillow.

I ended up just taking them away and buying her a small toy tat every day for the first week then she never bothered after that.

twinkledag Mon 06-Nov-17 13:15:42

Thanks both. I think i will get us moved in and settled and then try the 'giving to the baby elves' approach.

He's obsessed with PJ Masks at the moment so some PJ Masks toys in place of the dummy might work!

Allthebestnamesareused Mon 06-Nov-17 13:18:17

Both mine put their dummies out with the mice pie for Santa to take for the babies and never asked for it again.

However the following year DS2 did ask Santa (on a visit to see him) whether babies liked his dummies. I nodded over the top of his head and Santa dutifully played along.

I'd do it then when there is other excitement and new things for him to experience.

Joinourclub Mon 06-Nov-17 13:19:03

You've met him have it this long, why not let him give it up in his own time? Try and suggest the idea of new house no dummy, but if he is resistant then try again at Christmas. I think most kids are ready to give it up by the time they are 4. We gently tried many time with my ds, and lasted up to a week dummy free at times. Then finally he just stopped if his own accord at about 3 and a half.

twinkledag Mon 06-Nov-17 13:40:36

Joinourclub - I'm worried abut his teeth and about him having a lisp.

JJforever Mon 06-Nov-17 13:41:33

We took DC1s dummy away a few months ago and he was fine after a couple of days - however we now have a battle getting him down for his nap. He doesn't ask for his dummy at all and he only had it for sleeping but he struggles to get himself to sleep in the daytime without it. I now wish I had left until he had dropped his nap!

twinkledag Mon 06-Nov-17 15:17:14

JJforever - how old is your DS? Mine still naps during the day and needs his dummy for this.

JJforever Mon 06-Nov-17 15:21:19

He is 2 and a half - I think we got rid of the dummy about 3 months ago. He still very much needs a nap, and will eventually go to sleep (And I then have to wake him so as not to completely mess up bedtime). It's just a daily battle I could do without for the sake of a dummy that he only had for sleeping anyway!

splendide Mon 06-Nov-17 15:23:04

My just turned three year old still has a dummy but strictly just for sleeping.

I’m planning to tackle it once he drops his nap

MumOfTwoooo Wed 08-Nov-17 16:06:04

I would say cold turkey - bit of a different approach but my SIL got fed up with her DC and their dummy so threw it out of the window while they were driving (DC was almost 7 at this stage so slightly different) lots of crying for a few hours but got over it quickly.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Thu 09-Nov-17 12:07:36

Send the dummy to santa with ds Christmas list!!

SleepingStandingUp Thu 09-Nov-17 12:10:48

mice pie for Santa
That just sick: ( poor Santa. I bet HE needed the dummy to get rid of the taste...

Mishappening Thu 09-Nov-17 12:15:53

Moving house will be a big upheaval for him - best not to take his comfort away - TBH I think don't take it away at all - he will grow out of it in his own time. No hurry - it is not harming him at all.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Thu 09-Nov-17 12:19:16

Just to say my dd still had hers for bed at 7!! Perfect teeth and no lisp!!
Ds 3.2 still has his for bed and the odd cheeky nap! He sleeps 12 hours a night - why the fluff would I risk unsettling that??

MummyMrsMe Thu 09-Nov-17 21:11:07

I would also wait until you are somewhat settled in your new home so it’s not too much change at once.

We used the “Dummy Fairy” approach with our 2.5 year old and he collected all his dummies and left them in a gift bag beside the fireplace at bedtime. Explained how the Dummy Fairy would come down the chimney during the night and take the dummies away to the babies. When he got up in the morning, the Dummy Fairy had left him a new ambulance toy (which he had picked himself from the Argos catalogue).

Don’t get me wrong, for about a fortnight he would ask for his Dummy at each bedtime or if he got upset but we would just remind him he gave them to to Dummy Fairy and got the ambulance toy in their place... he would remember and accept it.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: