Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Bringing cake to school for birthday?

(14 Posts)
mindutopia Mon 06-Nov-17 10:30:31

Is this something people still do? I remember we always brought cake or cupcakes to school when it was our birthday when I was a kid. But I sort of assumed this must be something that either wasn't done anymore or perhaps was banned due to allergies, schools not wanting them eating so much rubbish, etc. My dd just started reception this year and one of her friend's parents was taking in a big tray cake because today is her dd's birthday. It filled me with panic and horror to be honest! Do I have to do this too? Is this fairly expected still?

Should add my dd's birthday is 4 days before I'm due with her little brother, so I'm imagining us baking a cake with a very new baby or at least being heavily pregnant and exhausted.

Changerofname987654321 Mon 06-Nov-17 11:44:25

If you do decided to send in cake then buy a big tray bake from a supermarket. There is no need for a home baked one.

RatOnnaStick Mon 06-Nov-17 11:48:46

About half the children bring something in here. 90% of the time its just a small haribo packet for each child, the other 10% its cupcakes. Nobody will know or care if you don't do it, most parents won't have a clue which child's birthday it is anyway.

Shadow666 Mon 06-Nov-17 11:49:34

I’d check with the teacher. There might be allergies in the class. It might be against the rules and it’ll get sent back.

Kraggle Mon 06-Nov-17 11:51:33

We've had cupcakes which they are at snack time apparently and sweets that were brought home for birthdays in dds reception class since she started. Dds birthday is in March and I will probably send cakes in but check with the teacher first.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 06-Nov-17 11:51:54

You need to invest in some poundland cupcake carriers (so it always looks homemade) and then dash to iceland or aldi or lidl and get one of their cupcake platters (£2-3 for 12). Lovingly transfer the cupcakes from the platter to the cupcake carriers and your job is done. Admittedly there is a £3 initial outlay but there will undoubtedly be cake sales at some point and with another one going to school in a few years it will pay off over time.

Sirzy Mon 06-Nov-17 11:53:25

We just send in sweets generally.

Having worked in a school before please don’t send a cake in that requires cutting up because it’s a pain in the backside for the staff!

pinkliqourice Mon 06-Nov-17 11:53:44

My 4 year old is vegan and my 7 year old is gluten free so we send in cakes that are both of those for their birthdays because Mostly when other parents send in cakes they are not vegan or gluten free which is fine my children just know not to eat them.
It’s defiantly not expected and not every child does it, some school probably don’t allow it.

tiffanysfanny Mon 06-Nov-17 11:59:15

We do this at my dd’s nursery. But you have to have all the ingredients written down (if it’s home made) or take in the packaging you bought it in with the cakes. To make sure they know what’s in it and whether to give it to the kids or not.

tiffanysfanny Mon 06-Nov-17 12:00:46

Having worked in a school before please don’t send a cake in that requires cutting up because it’s a pain in the backside for the staff! Thanks of this. I will keep this in mind for next year /primary school

2014newme Mon 06-Nov-17 12:02:07

Not allowed at our school

thepatchworkcat Mon 06-Nov-17 12:04:25

Depends on the school - mine has asked parents not to in line with the healthy eating policy, ditto sweets. I’d check if it’s allowed first. But if you do please don’t take anything that needs cutting and faffing around with - teachers don’t always have an extra adult hanging around so it can be tricky!

dementedpixie Mon 06-Nov-17 12:06:04

We sent sweets not cake

AppleTrayBake Mon 06-Nov-17 12:16:45

Some schools it's allowed, some it isn't. I hope my DC's school doesn't start doing it as my allergic DC will also be left out. (Will have a treat box in school, but who wants a packet of Haribo when everyone else has cake).

And yes if you are going to do it, don't just send in a big cake in a box. Cut it up and send in serviettes, otherwise it's a big pain for staff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: