Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Bathtime before bed

(6 Posts)
sunnyfields25 Mon 06-Nov-17 08:17:27

Hi there.

DS is 5 and a half months old. Quite early on we started doing morning baths as he was generally unhappy in the evenings. However now that he's older and staying awake longer in the evenings we'd like to try introducing bath as part of a bedtime routine (which we don't currently have!).

Only thing is we have bright lighting in bathroom (LED spotlights) and I'm not sure if it'll be too stimulating for bedtime.

What do other people do? Do you just use normal bathroom light, or set up subdued lighting using a battery-powered lamp?

Thanks grin

Cutesbabasmummy Mon 06-Nov-17 11:25:08

We just use the ordinary light. Then take him into his bedroom and use a dim light to dress and settle him x

user1493413286 Mon 06-Nov-17 21:43:37

We use normal lights and dress her for bed in normal lights then feed in the dark, hasn’t occurred to me to think about lighting in the bathroom to be honest

sunnyfields25 Tue 07-Nov-17 08:43:43

Thanks both, I'm perhaps overthinking this then. I'm wary of the bright lights making him wide awake just before bed, but I suppose the only way to know is to try it!

mindutopia Tue 07-Nov-17 12:49:39

We use just the normal lights, or in the summer, no lights at all as the sun is still up. Could you get a softer bulb or take a few bulbs out or install a softer over sink light? Our ceiling lights are quite bright, but the one over the sink is much softer, so when we need to, we use that one instead. I think it matters much more that you keep lighting dim after bathtime, while getting dressed, having milk, cuddles, story time whatever, than bathtime.

shelley1990 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:12:35

We use the normal bathroom lighting and dry and dress daughter in bedroom with normal light on aswell. I use Johnson’s night cream and night talc, then feed bottle with a lamp on so it’s not so bright. No problem going off to sleep.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: