Talk

Advanced search

What to get a 5 month old for christmas

(10 Posts)
Tigger001 Sun 05-Nov-17 05:28:32

Our DS will be 5 months old this Christmas (his first Christmas and super excited ) we are not spending alot as he has all he needs and won't remember it or appreciate what its all about. All our friends are asking what to get him, we have opened his own bank account so told family to put whatever they would spend on a pressie into the account, but to ask friends to do this seems a bit weird or cheeky.

So any recommendations for little pressies for a 5 month old who already has 2 wardrobes of clothes off people ?

Timefor2 Sun 05-Nov-17 05:36:05

Do you have stacking cups, stacking rings and a shape sorter? If not your baby will love those soon.

What about some bowls for weaning? Nice kids cutlery? (You'll probably want to use plastic cutlery to start but they'll be ok with metal kids cutlery before you know it.)

You can never have too many books too. Peepo is a lovely story that you can get as a board book. And little babies love the "That's not my..." books

KatyN Sun 05-Nov-17 12:03:48

High chair, bumbo, walker with bricks in (play with the bricks now and the walker later Obv)
Voucher for first shoes?

TeaTeaTea Sun 05-Nov-17 14:02:30

A Boots voucher? -can spend it on a whole range of baby paraphernalia - nappies, wipes, clothes, toys that you choose.

Butterymuffin Sun 05-Nov-17 14:05:28

Books. All sorts - ones he'll read by himself when he's older, ones you'll read to him in a couple of years (Julia Donaldson and so on), and the baby/toddler books like That's Not My.. ones. They'll all be useful in time. There's really nothing a 5 month old needs.

BertieBotts Sun 05-Nov-17 14:07:09

Books... can never have too many and you could ask your friends to choose one they loved as children, even if he's too young to appreciate it you can still read it to him and put it in his collection for later.

Happyland or Fisher Price little people toys. For now he'll just enjoy chewing them or pushing the cars along, later he can do imaginative play with them.

Bath toys are great at this age because they are starting to get into things like that but they don't last very long, they go mouldy.

VTech walker with the buttons on the front. The buttons bit detaches for now and is a fun toy, later he can walk along with the frame.

Ride on toys, again, he'll be too little to get use out of them but come spring/summer he'll be the perfect age.

viques Sun 05-Nov-17 14:11:26

Some scrunched up wrapping paper and a big box to sit in! At five months that's all he will want, maybe a new chew toy for all those lovely new teeth coming through.

Seriously I would not be buying anything huge ATM, it is November, you are going to be spending a lot of time indoors and you will be tripping over big stuff. Think ahead to next summer when you can be outside, he can have fun with garden toys. don't buy anything yet, unless you see a bargain and have storage, but put the money aside

Loopyloo1987 Mon 06-Nov-17 13:21:42

I also have a little one who will be 5 months at christmas.

We have bought him a few little toys . Mainly things that play music and light up . Things That i will regret buying him 5mins after the noise starts smile . He will then have a stocking with smaller items like teething rings small rattles those sort of things.

Grand parents are getting him a bumbo sort of seat . And the other side grandparents we have asked them to buy an activity table but this wont be used until hes a few months older. But as its a fair amount of time from xmas to his birthday will be nice to bring it out later in the year maybe when hes abut6-8months old

I made the mistake with my daughter 1st time round and went crazy with presents. She didnt understand and it was more for me than her

mindutopia Mon 06-Nov-17 14:08:00

I think definitely books. Or alternatively, if you really don't want any more stuff, it's okay to ask people not to give gifts or like you said to give him a bit of money for his savings. Cutlery is another nice idea. In fact, one of the nicest gifts we got for my daughter's first birthday (I know slightly older) was a ceramic toddler mug (I know ceramic sounds dangerous, but it was perfectly fine with supervision and much better for hot drinks than a plastic cup, also more durable).

Newtothismumthing1 Mon 06-Nov-17 19:11:25

Books and toys I guess (bath toys etc)- do u need anything for their room e.g. Colourful storage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now