Talk

Advanced search

When did your baby show a preference for you?

(4 Posts)
Sunnyx Sat 04-Nov-17 12:08:46

I have a 6 month old who doesn’t show any kind of preference for me. He doesn’t save any special smiles for me - he smiles at everyone. He doesn’t mind being held by anyone and I haven’t noticed him ever being upset by my absence if I leave the room for short or long periods. When people babysit, he’s not bothered and I don’t even get a reaction from him when I collect him. He’s not a clingy baby at all.

Is this normal? I’m a very attentive mummy and respond to even a little whimper. Am I doing something wrong?

soundsystem Sat 04-Nov-17 12:34:51

DD wasn't at all bothered a a baby. She has a preference for me now (she's 3) but it's very recent! As a baby she was exactly like yours, was happy with absolutely anyone (not that I left her with absolutely anyone, obviously, but you know what I mean!).

9-month-old DS has always preferred me. He's not clingy at all, and is happy to be babysat by my mum, and is settled in nursery, but if I'm there he wants me, and I get the biggest, loveliest smile when he sees me.

I've parented them just the same, so I think it really is down to personality!

Make the most of it and enjoy being able to drink cups of tea while still hot/eat while meals, while obliging people cuddle the baby!

Eeeeek2 Sat 04-Nov-17 23:24:27

Nope nothing wrong. I would of said the same thing at the same age then shortly before ds was 7 months I was rushed to hospital and kept in for 40 hours. He went from a contented baby that slept through the night and didn’t bat an eye at me leaving the room, to a baby that would scream if I tried to put him down. He woke up 8-10 times a night and would only settle if I went to him not his dad.

You are the ever present extension to your ds, he doesn’t really view you as separate to him. You may leave for short periods but you always come back. You have one contented secure child.

pastabest Sat 04-Nov-17 23:28:40

It's a good thing. Means they are secure in their attachments to you and are confident you will always come back.

That's what I tell myself anyway about DD who is EXACTLY the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now