Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How to treat cut finger - 6 month old

(4 Posts)
StripyDeckchair Sat 04-Nov-17 10:05:03

I'm booked on a baby first aid course but it doesn't start till Friday! I'm also suffering from postnatal anxiety (which is being treated and is improving) so I'm finding it a bit tough to stay calm in this situation.

DS will be 6 months next week. This morning DH was cutting his nails and accidentally got his little finger with the clippers. It bled a lot - or at least what seemed like a lot. DH applied pressure with cotton wool. Once the bleeding seemed under control I breastfed him and DH got together some cooled boiled water in a sterile cup. We then dunked his hand in the cup to wash off any remaining blood and gently wiped with a clean muslin.

I didn't think we should apply a plaster as it would be a choking hazard? He has his fingers in his mouth all the time at the moment as he is teething.

After all this DS seemed perfectly happy and his fingertip looked sore but not awful. Shortly after this I popped him in his playnest with some toys and went next door to the kitchen to get something only to hear a wailing cry. Ran back in and picked him up, gave him another feed to soothe him and noticed his finger was bleeding again, so perhaps he knocked it on a toy or bit down on it?

Seems to have stopped again with a little pressure and he's now napping in my arms.

Have we done the right things? DH is now at work for the rest of the day so I'm on my own. What can I do to stop it opening up again? I was wondering about a plaster with a sock over his hand. I'd have to constantly supervise him though as he is perfectly capable of pulling a sock off and does it all the time. (I do supervise him of course but sometimes move away for a minute or put him somewhere safe and go to the loo!) What else should I be doing?

booellesmum Sat 04-Nov-17 10:08:01

I accidentally did this to my baby many moons ago. It stopped bleeding and I didn't put anything on it.
Could you put on a sock without the plaster?

whyareusernamessodifficult Sat 04-Nov-17 10:13:36

I did this with ds1 too. It’s very easily done.
Put some microporous tape on it and put a mitten over it.

StripyDeckchair Sat 04-Nov-17 10:32:28

Should I put some sudocrem on it as an antiseptic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now