Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Severe bum rash

(53 Posts)
TheLegendOfBeans Fri 03-Nov-17 15:51:06

Not me - 3 week old DS.

We are applying Metanium hourly and changing his nappy with the same frequency.

We have stopped using water wipes (on advice) and are using loo roll to wipe away skids and bum crumbs.

Still his wee bum is red raw: it looks unbearably painful.

As he’s a newborn I’m not really able to give him lots of nappy off time as he’s feeding constantly and I can’t get covered in poos and wees.

Can anyone provide advice as if it’s still this bad on Monday I’ll head to the GP for warp strength cream as Matanium isn’t really healing things.

clarabellski Fri 03-Nov-17 16:17:36

You could try the big cotton wool make up removing pads instead of loo roll. They much softer!

Also you might need to suck it up re the nappy free time. drape yourself in muslins to protect yourself from the shit

But if it is as bad as you say and metanium is not making any obvious improvement within a day I'd be heading to GP to be honest

TheLegendOfBeans Fri 03-Nov-17 19:12:45

The cotton wool pads are a fab idea; I never thought of that as we have fancy loo roll but yep; it’s even gentler.

I am prepared to be covered tomorrow. I have a toddler so I can’t do it in the week but if I have another pair of hands the weekend then I can afford to get doused in dirty protests

LittleBearPad Fri 03-Nov-17 19:14:08

You are using yellow metanium?

I wouldn’t have thought lol roll was better than cotton wool and water.

loveulotslikejellytots Fri 03-Nov-17 19:19:15

Cooled boiled water and cotton wool. And yellow metanium rather than the white one. Check the box but I'm also sure that the yellow metanium you need a really thin layer of cream. I was smothering dd in cream then realised that the instructions say only a thin layer at a time is needed.

shoofly Fri 03-Nov-17 19:20:13

Local Chemist here used to make up a mixture of conotrane and metanium. (Half and half) the conotrane made the metanium an easier texture to apply to very broken skin and it worked far better than metanium alone. Metanium is so stiff and sticky! Worth mixing yourself to try.

I took DS1 for an emergency gp appointment when he was tiny and the nurse practitioner was asked to look at him because it was so bad.... cotton wool and warm water and dry bottom with a soft clean muslin and then apply liberally. It really helped

mrsRosaPimento Fri 03-Nov-17 19:22:15

Moist cotton wool to wipe off. Dry thoroughly. Thick metanium. Ds1 has a raw bum like this. Change nappy straight away as soon as it’s dirty. Metanium is the only thing that worked.

nightshade Fri 03-Nov-17 19:22:59

I second the cooled boiled water and cotton wool...keep soft towels ready and dry well....use it for every change and no wet wipes...

Very Thin layer of any cream you are using...

Also try changing your brand of nappies...mine couldn't use pampers..

mrsRosaPimento Fri 03-Nov-17 19:23:10

I would layer blobs of yellow metanium because it doesn’t stick to bleeding skin.

nightshade Fri 03-Nov-17 19:23:52

Also check that it is not thrush that may require an anti fungal..

EvilCleverDog Fri 03-Nov-17 19:29:34

Are you breastfeeding? A squirt of breastmilk at every change cleared up my ds nappy rash in 2/3 days

Hmmingbird Fri 03-Nov-17 20:26:30

My DS had awful nappy rash, and we discovered he reacted badly to metanium and bepanthan - anything oily. So we switched to sudocrem and the rash cleared up really quickly. That and nappy off time (whilst covering myself and the furniture/floor in a towel or those potty training mattress protectors) worked wonders.

Poor little one though, nappy rash is horrid flowers

BrokenBattleDroid Fri 03-Nov-17 20:29:38

Above advice sounds good.

Also - tena lady sheets for lying on as nappy free time on you whilst feeding etc. Not sustainable long term, but a couple of packets might get you through the worst.

Tronkmanton Fri 03-Nov-17 20:35:43

My DS was very premature and came home from hospital with horrendous nappy rash. Metanium wasn’t touching it. GP gave me a sort of dressing to put on it as it was so sore. Unfortunately it was 12 years ago so I can’t remember exactly what it was. I wouldn’t wait to Monday though to see Dr- go to out of hours over weekend.

Changerofname987654321 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:40:52

If it is that sever I would get an out of hours appointment tomorrow.

TheLegendOfBeans Fri 03-Nov-17 20:43:48

This advice is excellent. I am writing with a stiff upper lip as I want to cry when I see how bad his bum is.

The metanium is making TINY improvements but OOH if it’s not cleared in next 12 hours. I think it’s so bad it’s making him cry.

Weirdly, we changed from Sainsbury’s nappies at midday today and have changed him into Aldi ones, on the hour every hour. Again a minor improvement noticed.

mrsRosaPimento Fri 03-Nov-17 21:02:09

Ds1 had nappy rash as a new born that looked like a scald. I was horrified. It got better, although flared up during teething. He’s now 13. I can’t tell you about his butt now.😳You’re doing the right thing. Bedpanthen has lanolin in it, which can cause allergic reaction.

Littlegreysquares Fri 03-Nov-17 21:04:22

Don't know if is the same type of rash but one of ours had thrush years ago when in nappies and needed a prescription (thrush mentioned by PP too). Hope it improves soon.

OvertheSargassoSea Fri 03-Nov-17 21:08:49

Breast milk is very good. If you sknt bf. Maybe you can ask a local group? Nice soak in it. I say go to A&E as it could get infected. Very young. Plus swap nappies round. Maybe consider using cloth nappies? Plenty of air is the best option but bloody messy x

calamityjam Fri 03-Nov-17 21:23:59

I would bet you any money its thrush. Does he have any white dots? Also check tongue for thick white coating. Get GP to have a look at him. If its thrush, you may also need treating if you're breastfeeding. In the mean time breast milk is best for his bottom.

umizoomi Fri 03-Nov-17 21:38:20

He is so little that unless he is unwell (which can cause super acidic poo every few minutes) then my immediate thought was the nappy itself.

A friend's baby was sore with the Asda ones. Try a different brand and yellow metanium. If no improvement I would see a doctor at that age to rule out thrush

RandomMess Fri 03-Nov-17 21:42:54

Sprilon spray - it’s a barrier for bedsores, £7 per can but better than yellow metanium- plus you don’t have to rub it on just a very thin spray.

BamburyFuriou3 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:47:03

Don't use water. Use cotton wool balls/pads with sunflower / coconut / rape seed oil to clean instead (not olive as it's acidic). And definitely not loo roll.
And don't use metanium either. The weleda nappy change cream has been the only one all of sensitive flowers haven't reacted to.

BamburyFuriou3 Fri 03-Nov-17 21:50:24

Oh and try a fleece lined in the nappy as well - mine all reacted to disposables so we started on washables a bit quicker than we had intended. I think it's something to do with how breathable they are, but a fleece liner may help - just a bit of cut up fleece lining the nappy and stick it in the wash.
All 3 of mine have had horrible bums for the first few weeks until we got a handle on each ones sensitivities etc
They all are fairly allergic eczema types anyway with very sensitive skin.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 03-Nov-17 21:52:35

If it's that sore don't wait until Monday to see an out of hours gp. Babies and small children are seen pretty quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now