Talk

Advanced search

Babysitting a 6 month old

(9 Posts)
Sunnyx Fri 03-Nov-17 11:48:50

My OH sister is wanting to look after my 6 month old every week for 5-6 hours. Problem is she’s looked after him a few times now and doesn’t really seem to keeping up with his naps. He’s exhausted by the time he comes home but still generally content.

I bf and feed to sleep mostly - the aunt has to take him for walks to get him to sleep.

Question is do you think it’s unreasonable for me to reduce visits as he’s getting so tired and he also doesn’t take a bottle well. He’s starting to wean now so that’s helpful. But when he takes in less milk and is tired, it affects my sleep and I deal with the consequences.

Do I just need to chill out and accept that his routine will be disrupted one day a week?

mindutopia Fri 03-Nov-17 12:41:33

Why does she need to babysit? Is it because you've gone back to work or is it just for her entertainment? It is really normal for babies to be off their routines when they start childcare. I know when we started, my dd (who was 9 months at the time) definitely didn't eat or sleep normally there during the day for several months. It did mean she was really tired when she came home. But it eventually passed and she got used to it in a few months time. I needed to work though, so wasn't a choice. If you are working and you need her help for childcare, I would muster through and be a bit more firm with her about what you think she needs to be doing during that time to make it all go more smoothly. If it's just for fun and she just wants to have your baby for some alone time, I might streamline it so it wasn't every week. That said, a few hours a week to yourself is probably worth the hassle with sleep later.

Sunnyx Fri 03-Nov-17 13:56:18

She sees him for her entertainment. I do like the time to myself but I think 6 hours is too much if it’s every week. I might try and reduce it to bi-weekly.

fabulous01 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:25:04

Have I heard this right
You like the time to yourself
She does it for entertainment

aHaf Fri 03-Nov-17 14:32:19

And what is wrong with a mother wanting a few lone hours to herself in a week?
And what is wrong with an aunt enjoying the company of her nephew for a few hours a week? confused

dantdmistedious Fri 03-Nov-17 14:36:52

Just reduce the time - a couple of hours.

Desmondo2016 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:45:31

Yes my adult daughter likes to take her baby sister out even if I don't need a sitter. It's great for them to enjoy time together and of course I enjoy the time to myself! What a twatty comment up the thread to try and suggest there was something wrong with this.

But OP I would reduce the time and do it for her active/awake time just so the routine doesn't take such a hit.

user1493413286 Fri 03-Nov-17 14:49:54

If it’s actually causing you more work/stress then I would stop it or reduce the amount of time. There’s no harm in being upfront with her and explaining why then seeing if it makes a difference. If anyone looks after my DD I tell them what time she needs a nap and that they may have to rock her to sleep etc. It’s just not worth the impact of her coming back overtired and not fair on her

Sunnyx Fri 03-Nov-17 14:53:30

I guess I just assumed that many mothers are joined at the hip with their babies especially if they’re breastfed and rely on their mothers to get to sleep. In which case, the aunt is quite lucky I’m considering letting her have him so often.

She will have to go out in the pram to get him to sleep and I realise this is probably inconvenient sometimes. So he’s been awake for 4+ hours at a time and he’s knackered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now