Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Electric breast pumps - recommendations?

(16 Posts)
daisyrosie Thu 02-Nov-17 19:28:34

I have a 2 week old baby who I have been trying to breastfeed but due to a tongue tie I have been feeding by breastfeeding when he will latch, expressing my milk and topping up with formula when needed.

I have an Ardo Calypso pump on hire, but any recommendations would be appreciated as they are so expensive and I need to keep expressing for now to build up my milk supply until the breastfeeding is established.

Thanks x

rackelle Thu 02-Nov-17 21:51:10

Definitely recommend medela, I’ve been lent one by SIL and it’s brill. You can probably pick one up fairly reasonably on eBay or similar and you can get a pack that had new breast shields and bottles etc for about £20 I think.

Ceesadoo Fri 03-Nov-17 06:48:57

I agree. My Medela is brilliant. I have the double swing pump and also rent a Symphony.

alittlehelp Fri 03-Nov-17 06:50:28

I rented Medela double electric hospital grade pump. Really good.

shakeyourcaboose Fri 03-Nov-17 06:52:24

Medela swing definitely!

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Fri 03-Nov-17 06:54:19

I have Tommy Tippee electric. It's crap.

confusedwife84 Fri 03-Nov-17 06:54:26

Medela swing

midnightflowers Fri 03-Nov-17 07:05:35

And another vote for medela!

rowtheboats Fri 03-Nov-17 08:29:20

Medela swing, and the single is perfectly sufficient!

AlbusPercival Fri 03-Nov-17 08:35:06

Also like Medela swings can use batteries if out

NameChange30 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:39:56

Are you getting the tongue tie divided?
My DS had tongue tie and division made all the difference.

I have an Ardo Calypso double pump and it's great. Definitely worth the money IMO. It has two advantages over the Medela Swing: it's closed system which means it's more hygienic and can be properly cleaned/sterilised and reused (the Swing is open system), it is also a very quiet pump and apparently much quieter than the Swing.

John Lewis sell the Ardo Calypso so if you know anyone who works at Waitrose or John Lewis, you could ask them to buy it for you with their discount.

NameChange30 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:41:22

Having said that, if money was tight I would just continue renting the Ardo Calypso until the tongue tie was sorted.

NameChange30 Fri 03-Nov-17 08:44:01

kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/buying-a-used-or-new-pump/

Tigger001 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:18:35

I have a spectra. It has the double pump, it can be used without being plugged in, just ran off the batteries and looks nice and neat. It has different cycle speeds and does an additional cycle of fluttering like baby would to help stimulate and has a little night light ..

firsttimer12345 Fri 03-Nov-17 19:47:31

I have been exclusively pumping with a spectra s1 for nearly 11 weeks. It’s amazing and rechargeable battery so you can use it on the go.

daisyrosie Mon 06-Nov-17 09:43:29

Thanks everyone. My son’s tongue tie has now been snipped but he still has a really shallow latch so I think it’s a case of re-learning how to latch correctly.

I’ve gone for the Ardo Calypso double pump as I like the fact it’s a closed system, although the spectra looks good too. Thanks for the recommendations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now