Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Jumperoos

(27 Posts)
sunnyfields25 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:00:10

Hi

DS is 5 months old and I'm wondering about getting him a jumperoo. Has anyone had one and found them useful or a massive waste of space and money? They seem quite cumbersome and expensive and at the minute I can't tell if it's a good idea.

I try to play with DS on the floor and do tummy time as much as possible, but there are times when I just need to put him somewhere safe while I cook tea etc. Also, his poor little head is getting flat from laying down all the time!

Thanks.

Matilda1981 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:03:04

I would highly recommend getting one, both of mine loved it! I wouldn't buy one brand new tho as they do only use them for 6 months or so! I got mine from a Facebook selling page for £30 and then sold it on for £30 when I'd finished with it!!

Notalitigator Thu 02-Nov-17 14:05:32

I've found with my friends that children either love them or are very indifferent. My dd wasn't too fussed with hers but it kept her amused for 10 minutes which was enough time for me to shower so it was handy in that respect.

We had the space saver one. Its still big but folds down. Second buying second hand, we bought ours for £20 and I expect I'll make that back

BexleyRae Thu 02-Nov-17 14:08:44

My DD loved hers, but as soon as she could crawl she hated it. Definitely recommend getting a second hand one, we stupidly bought brand new and when we sold it, it was still good as new

WanderingTrolley1 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:13:35

Found mine massively useful!

pinkmummy1 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:18:09

I love mine. I put it in front of the tv and my DD is very happy wile I cook or clean. She's not in it all day but it's very useful and she's been using it since she turned 4 months. I'm going to miss it when she grows out of it.

Cutesbabasmummy Thu 02-Nov-17 14:21:17

They are great - get one! We also got a second hand one and sold it on afterwards. You can get space saving ones that are a bit smaller.

dantdmistedious Thu 02-Nov-17 14:25:00

Brilliant. Get one.

We got ours new and sold it on for not far off the full price.

confused123456 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:27:43

I don't like the idea of them personally. Our ds had a swing and a bouncy chair to go in so he wasn't on his mat all the time. He loved the swing. It was a 3 in 1 swing bouncer and rocking chair, so he got more than enough use from it as a swing as it had a higher weight limit. He also had a separate bouncer that vibrated and played music.

fivefour3twoone Thu 02-Nov-17 14:40:53

DS hated this and I always felt guilty putting him in it so for me it was a huge waste of space and money.
However lots of people love them and they have a good re-sale value so no harm trying one x

archersfan3 Thu 02-Nov-17 14:41:08

I have just got a secondhand one for DC2. DC1 loved them at other people's houses but we didn't really have space in our old house and I didn't see a secondhand one at the right time.
The person I bought it from was selling because her second one wasn't bothered by it, but her first had loved it.
So I wouldn't get a new one because some of them love it and some of them aren't so keen and you don't know until you've tried them with it.

Nottalotta Thu 02-Nov-17 14:43:17

Ds1 loved it! Ds2 not so much. I got it second hand for 35 pounds. Ds1 used it from 5 months til he could walk ato 1. Ds2 has used it occasionally but I've sold it on ad he's really not keen on it

WishIwasinStarsHollow Thu 02-Nov-17 14:45:06

Definitely recommend, they are brilliant for entertaining DC when you need to put them somewhere safe. Definitely get second hand though!

Chatoyant Thu 02-Nov-17 14:51:37

My eldest adored it and my youngest absolutely hated it. I'd only buy second hand as they are expensive for what they are especially if you don;t get on with it. The one I got I paid £35 second hand and sold it on for £30.

BoredOnMatLeave Thu 02-Nov-17 14:54:04

They do take up loads of space but I found it really useful. Definitely wouldn't buy one new though, I got ours off my local facebook selling page.

JKCR2017 Thu 02-Nov-17 15:45:00

My DD loved hers! They aren't in them for long though so maybe look for a decent condition one second hand or maybe looks for some deals. I get DD's for a really good price on Amazon!

sunnyfields25 Thu 02-Nov-17 17:13:04

Brill, thanks everyone smile I think I'll look into second-hand options in that case.

EmmaJR1 Thu 02-Nov-17 18:52:21

Mine is a god send! Ds is almost 6 months and he’s had it for a couple of months - he loves it. We have the finding nemo one which is really interactive.

user1493413286 Thu 02-Nov-17 20:13:00

I’m going against the grain here but have a look at the health advice around them, they aren’t recommended as they have no positives for baby’s development and there’s lots of other things out there which are much better and keep babies occupied

Sugarcoma Thu 02-Nov-17 20:21:35

Someone bought us the Baby Einstein one and tbh it’s a bit boring but DS has played in the FisherPrice one and much prefers that - a lot more bits and bobs on it to entertain him.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Thu 02-Nov-17 21:54:28

My DD didn't like it at all really. I didn't particularly want one, but my mum was really keen to buy her one last year for Christmas: she was 6 months at the time. She started crawling at about 7.5 months and soon worked out that the jumperoo was a way of trying to contain her - she wasn't keen on that idea at all! It's been barely used and I've just arranged to get rid of it to make room for a toy kitchen this Christmas.

sunnyfields25 Thu 02-Nov-17 22:19:49

Thanks for the replies everyone smile

user1493413286 I'm just wondering what the other options are that you mentioned? I've not got my heart set specifically on a jumperoo so am eager to hear about alternatives. First baby so clueless about these things!

silkpyjamasallday Thu 02-Nov-17 22:37:07

DD absolutely loved hers, it gave her a sense of agency and she loved being upright and had been getting us to let her stand on our laps with her legs taking a fair bit of her weight from very early. She wouldn't tolerate being strapped into a bouncy chair or swing. It was amazing when she went in it, I could easily do chores as she was happy for absolutely ages with some music on, I only wish that was still the case. She used it from 4-8 months, so until she could crawl. Ours was new, and about £80-90 but it was totally and utterly worth it for how much use we got out of it. It was ugly and took up a lot of space but it's only for a short while and now it's gone our living room feels so spacious

soundsystem Thu 02-Nov-17 22:47:51

DS loved it but only for the very short period between being strong enough to go in it and being mobile. Then he wouldn't be constrained! Would definitely recommend considering a second hand one...

Nottalotta Fri 03-Nov-17 07:03:47

Ours was the baby ein stein one which ds 1 loved.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: