Talk

Advanced search

Potty training troubles

(7 Posts)
DoublyTroubly Thu 02-Nov-17 05:25:50

Hi

I’ve been potty training my just turned 3 year olds twins for nearly 2 weeks now. For wees they are pretty realiable as long as you put them on the toilet every hour or so - they very rarely ask to go on and have wet themselves when left to their own devices.

However, they still aren’t doing poos on the toilet at all, which means a lot of bad pants to clear up.

Any tips for improving their habits? Or do I just give up and try again at Xmas?

BellyBean Thu 02-Nov-17 10:50:19

Unfortunately you have to see training wees and poos as totally separate. Different muscles.

It took DD a good month longer to 'get' poos.

DoublyTroubly Thu 02-Nov-17 13:37:20

Oh no! I’ve been thinking about giving up but do you think it’s worth persevering? X

BouncyFlouncy Thu 02-Nov-17 20:01:47

You haven’t trained them at all, they’ve just trained you to put them on the toilet instead of changing their nappies. If after 2 weeks they’re not taking themselves and there is no rush I’d go back to nappies and have another go in the new year. Those couple of months could make all the difference.

Ausparent Thu 02-Nov-17 20:05:55

Go back to nappies.
We waited until our dd started telling us she needed to go before we took the nappies off. She was 3.5
She got day and night dry immediately, has wet her knickers maybe 3 times and has never wet the bed or had a poo accident.

We did ds much earlier using the process you have described and it was a much longer and infinitely more painful process.

InDubiousBattle Thu 02-Nov-17 21:01:33

I'd go back to nappies too. I started and abandoned potty training with ds a couple of times. I gave it 2 days and he wasn't getting it so left it for a couple of months. When we tried at 3.5 years old he literally went from nappies to dry pants in 2 days. We used pull ups for long trips out but in the end he didn't really need them. I can count accidents on 5 he fingers if one hand!

Cutesbabasmummy Fri 03-Nov-17 22:22:33

Read Oh Crap Its Potty Training. That will sort it out x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now