Talk

Advanced search

Hairstyles at nursery

(16 Posts)
Doublegloucester Wed 01-Nov-17 18:46:19

Hello,

Dd has really fine hair, and often her ponytail falls out at nursery and she comes home with loose hair and a lost hair bobble. Any ideas on what I could do to help her hair stay in, please?
Also, she has lots of little strands at the front but normal hair clips just fall out. Any tips on keeping the hair out of her face, please? Tia.

piefacedClique Wed 01-Nov-17 18:49:53

When mine goes to the hairdresser they always plait the front of her hair and pop a loom band on instead of a bobble. Always stays put. Might be worth a go?

Fekko Wed 01-Nov-17 18:51:28

Fabric Alice band?

gallicgirl Wed 01-Nov-17 18:53:17

Mine had her hair cut in a bob at this age. Not worth the hassle

Wiggles9408 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:56:04

French plait and secure with the elastic hair bands, they’re a lot smaller and have great grip. I got mine from Poundland they come in a pack of different pastel colours too. You could also go for a normal plait, spray her hair with a little water (or salt spray) so it’s damp then plait her hair, this makes it less fly away if it’s thinner and then when she does take out the plait her hair will be lovely and wavy! smile

If you want the plait to be far more secure you could start with a low pony tail secured at the base of her neck with the band then plait the pony tail and secure at the ends again, and you can use two different colours that she likes!

Phalarope Wed 01-Nov-17 18:58:34

DD's nursery seemed to spend a lot of time playing hairdressers and she often came home with a French plaited fringe. I could never recreate it but it always kept it out of her eyes. I just do a couple of clips to keep it out of her face cos it's too fine to hold anything more fancy. One hair clip to hold it back, and then I take the clipped-back section and clip it again further towards the back of her head - seems to stop it swinging around and working loose. Works with bobbles instead of clips but clips is quicker.

BabyOrSanta Wed 01-Nov-17 19:00:32

Have you tried spraying the clips with hair spray? This should create more friction and stop them falling out as much

Ttbb Wed 01-Nov-17 19:00:33

Cut hair shorter? What about those clips than you sort of bend into shape? The mental ones that makes snap sound.

Santawontbelong Wed 01-Nov-17 19:01:39

Bandana?

Note3 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:01:44

Plait, twist the strands before putting clip in as gives better grip (and put clip over the twisted part to increase grip).

Also some hairbands are just naff and fall out. The best ones I've found are the thickish plain type with the snag free join. Boots sell multipacks as do numerous other places...will see if I can find a link

Note3 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:04:21

This style band holds well:
www.boots.com/boots-black-ponybands-pk-70-10198874

wheresthel1ght Wed 01-Nov-17 19:05:38

Goody dp some rubbery bands that don't slip out. I bought dd some in one of the poundshops last week although fairly sure the likes of boots etc sell them

toomuchfaster Wed 01-Nov-17 19:07:37

I went for a half pony tail right forward and to one side. I was also advised to treat hair bands as disposable, makes it less painful when she looses approximately 60% of all ever worn anywhere!!

tellmehowtoget Wed 01-Nov-17 19:10:26

These type of styles are best for fine hair. Use the silicone tiny hair bands as they stay in better.

Waytoogo Wed 01-Nov-17 19:17:33

How about a fringe?

Doublegloucester Wed 01-Nov-17 19:38:10

Thanks all for the helpful suggestions :-)

I am a bit rubbish at plaits so think I will need to get practising!

Hairspray on hairclips sounds like a good tip, too.

She has a fringe but also has these mid length strands at the side, which don't quite fit in her ponytail.

An Alice band is a good idea, but they used to irritate me as a child, I think that's why I've not tried them with her yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now