Talk

Advanced search

What if anything do I do about a clingy toddler?

(4 Posts)
laulea82 Wed 01-Nov-17 08:26:35

Hello
I have a four year old dd with suspected ASD and a 21 month old ds. Both in full time nursery.
Ds has always been a mummy's boy but recently the constant need for me and only me is exhausting me. He likes being picked up and held by me all the time. It's not fair on my dd, dh or to the housework!
Do I just go with it and hope it passes or is their gentle methods I can use?
My dh thinks I'm soft with him and he's probably right. But he's my last 'baby' and dd is a rare cuddler! I guess I feel guilty I don't spend as much time with him as some mums do.
I've been going with it and hoping it will pass but it's starting to get me down now. I had to carry him for an hour trick or treating last night - my poor back!
Any tips or experiences gratefully received.
Thanks for reading.

laulea82 Wed 01-Nov-17 08:27:24

*there

MessyBun247 Wed 01-Nov-17 08:43:34

Hi there, my 21 month old DD is like this. Wants picked up and carried A LOT. She has always been like this, never liked her car seat, pram etc, just needed held. She will walk about at home, but anywhere else we go she wants me to carry her. My OH says just let her cry, but I still feel like she's too young and that she needs lots of contact IYKWIM. I don't think she's being lazy not wanting to walk, she just likes the reassurance of me holding her. The world is a big overwhelming place to toddlers! It's hard to get things done though.

I remember with my older DD one day I realised I couldn't remember the last time I had picked her up and carried her, she had just got big and grown out of it, and I felt sad!

I work in a crèche and there's lots of 2 year olds, and they are all happy walking and don't want lifted by me or their parents, so I think our DCs will grow out of it. So I don't have any tips as such, just know that you aren't alone!

laulea82 Wed 01-Nov-17 09:15:07

Ahh. I have been reading online about separation anxiety - and it seems to fit. So it could be a long haul phase!
Gosh you think you know what you're doing after two kids but nope!
Thanks - I hope it eases for you soon. I guess I have to just go with it and wait for it to pass. His little face at nursery this morning 😢

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now