Talk

Advanced search

Vomiting bugs - can parents spread it without being ill

(7 Posts)
Pooshweens Tue 31-Oct-17 17:46:43

My little nephew had a vomiting bug. My brother (his dad) wants to see our new baby. He's not ill at all but could he pass the bug on?

Minstrelsareyum Tue 31-Oct-17 17:49:38

Could he visit but perhaps not touch or hold baby? Maybe sit across the room? He could be incubating it but you don’t know. I’m no medical expert but that’s what I would do in your position.

Marzipants Tue 31-Oct-17 17:50:45

When did he have it? If it was over 48hrs ago you're probably fine, but less than that I'd ask him to hold off just in case he's about to come down with it.

It's worth being a little bit more cautious when you have a new baby at home. Getting a bug wouldn't be great for either of you.

And congratulations!

divafever99 Tue 31-Oct-17 17:51:18

I would tell him to stay away, not worth it my opinion, wait till everyone in their household has had no symptoms for 48 hours.

DesignedForLife Tue 31-Oct-17 20:11:28

Tell him to wait till everyone is 48 hours clear. He could be brewing it and not know.

INeedNewShoes Tue 31-Oct-17 20:15:33

This just isn't worth the risk. I agree with others to wait a few days.

In November I went to stay with friends on a Friday night whose daughter had been vomiting on the Tuesday. On the Friday night their son started with it and by the Saturday evening I was the illest I've ever been and hospitalized the following day (I was pregnant so impaired immunity may explain why I came down with it so quickly and severely). There had been 72 hours between their daughter and son getting it so I'd say that 48 hours isn't enough.

JKCR2017 Tue 31-Oct-17 20:16:14

I would definitely make him wait for another day or two. If he hasn't been poorly himself, he's unlikely to pass it on, but I wouldn't want to risk it with a newborn tbh!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now