Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take to organise a christening?

(14 Posts)
Grimmfebruary Mon 30-Oct-17 11:03:31

Just that really!

I'm really out of touch with anything like that, I would need to attend before hand, etc?

And how much freedom do you get over preferred dates?

DappledThings Mon 30-Oct-17 18:05:15

Depends on many factors. Which denomination for a start. Are you a member of a congregation now? Do you want a separate afternoon service or to be incorporated into the normal morning service?

NerrSnerr Mon 30-Oct-17 18:13:55

Depends on lots of factors. Do you go to church? If so have a chat with the vicar/ priest and they’ll give you an idea.

Grimmfebruary Mon 30-Oct-17 19:56:32

I don't go but my MIL goes to that church weekly. I just had a particular date in mind and am not fussed about a separate service.

kiwiblue Mon 30-Oct-17 19:58:55

We organised ours in 3 weeks, but my family are involved in the church we used, which helped!

Tobuyornot99 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:00:59

We had to attend special classes for 3 weeks, they are only run twice a year so, that potentially added 7 months if the dates fell wrong - we're Catholic

Parker231 Mon 30-Oct-17 20:05:01

What religion are you?

Caulk Mon 30-Oct-17 20:05:40

We have meetings every month and people come to one and then we arrange a date. We have a waiting list of a few months though.
Previous church it would have been a 3-4 week turnaround but wouldn’t do Christians (only dedications) unless the parents were Christian.

Kr1st1na Mon 30-Oct-17 20:12:05

Do you intend for your mother to bring your child up in her own faith?

Grimmfebruary Mon 30-Oct-17 23:02:32

Dp's family is catholic so he wanted to christen dc catholic. I'm c of e.
Am willing to attend services, obviously not just expecting to turn up and arrange a christening without attending.

Smurfy23 Mon 30-Oct-17 23:12:53

Im a catholic too but our priest was far more relaxed- just let us pick the date we wanted and no need for classes. I do go regularly though. Each church is different- best to speak to the priest and see what he says

Kr1st1na Tue 31-Oct-17 09:39:44

I agree, you will need to speak to the priest, who will probably want to know how you and your husband are going to bring your child up in the Catholic faith you don’t go to church . I’m guessing your MIL is planning to take your child to church ?

Are you happy with the promises that you and your husband will be making at the christening ? Do you feel these are things that you can commit to?

bigfishlittlefishtupperwarebox Tue 31-Oct-17 09:44:39

We wanted a specific date as my godmother came from Australia for 10 days to see my DD when she was a few months old. The hassle we had! Many churches only do christenings once a month. DH and I were from different churches and as I’m not really involved in mine we tried his first, and a couple of other local churches of the same denomination. No go for the date we wanted. Just a flat no, only in the dates they specify. My church, which I hadn’t been to for 20 odd years, were delighted to christen her on the date we wanted as they hadn’t had a christening for over 3 years. It was wonderful, everyone was so happy to have us there.

Grimmfebruary Tue 31-Oct-17 10:34:01

Thanks for all your advice smile been really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now