Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

6yr old wetting herself

(13 Posts)
Wooders09 Sun 29-Oct-17 19:56:54

Anyone able to advise please!

My dd (6) has recently started wetting herself in the day. She will only let a little bit of wee out and then rush to the toilet and finish the wee. So it's clear she has control over her bladder as she can stop and get to the toilet and go again! However, she has now started to just wet herself and then carry on doing whatever she is doing. So for example, we are all sat in the lounge watching some tv before going for a bath. We go upstairs for a bath and I noticed she is walking funny so ask her has she wet her knickers. She says yes and almost has a smirk on her face!?! I ask her why she hadn't gone to the toilet and all I get is a shrug of her shoulders.

I ended up sending her to bed without having a story before bed and telling her I was annoyed she hadn't gone to the toilet.

I'm a bit at my wits end now as to why it's suddenly started happening and what I should do? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

t1mum3 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:00:03

Is she drinking more? Does she have a temperature?

Guiltybystander Sun 29-Oct-17 20:01:03

Is she called Regan?

Wooders09 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:07:04

@t1mum3 no temp, not drinking any more than normal. She does drink a lot in the day but no more than normal.

@Guiltybystander we're not in the exorcism but thanks for the help.

Ttbb Sun 29-Oct-17 20:08:15

Phalluc stage if developement? UTI?

CountDuckulaTheSqueaky Sun 29-Oct-17 20:12:34

It might be a control thing. Both my youngest would deliberately squat and wet themselves when I first started potty training them. They wanted me to back off. Does she ever get to choose what's for supper or what to wear?

HollyandBrambles Sun 29-Oct-17 20:12:41

UTI?? I’d get her to the Dr to be checked out if she’s been fully dry for ages and it’s a new thing. I’d suggest that’ll be win-win. She has a UTI, it gets sorted, she’s messing about/lazy the threat of the Dr should put a stop to it.

Duckstar Sun 29-Oct-17 20:14:41

Does she get constipated? Sometimes if children are really backed up this can effect bladder.

I would take her to doctor. Sudden change in bladder habits could indicate a UTI (could be low level and hence no temp). They can also check tummy.

If that’s all ok, then I would recommend contacting ERIC - they are a charity which deal with bladder and bowel problems. Incredibly knowledgeable and helpful.

Wooders09 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:18:20

@CountDuckulaTheSqueaky

It could be a control thing......dh travels with work but hasnt been away for quite a few months. He's been away twice in two weeks and is currently away for the week now.....

Wooders09 Sun 29-Oct-17 20:20:40

@Duckstar

Thanks for the advice. She's not constipated but potentially could be a uti I suppose.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 29-Oct-17 20:26:16

I would put money on it being simply that her DF is away. Try to plan sone nice things to do together, even if it’s on,y feeding the ducks or watching a bit of tv together and talk about how things you have p,Anne’s when he returns.

My DH has always been out of the house a lot and after he took redundancy he was home more for a short while. Once his new business took off, he was away from home again for days and DD was murder. She finally confessed she was missing him.

cmwlocal76 Wed 01-Nov-17 00:09:28

My little girl done the same. Started when she went into year one and didn't like the toilet at school. She said the door banged loudly so had some days when she came home from school wet. Also doesn't like the sound of the toilet flushing. That was her reasons. I spoke to her teacher who then would take her to the loo. Also now she is 6 she won't go the toilet alone and won't flush either. I speak to my little lady about it and she says she doesn't like the toilet.

Kaykee Wed 01-Nov-17 21:40:45

My 6 year old started wetting at the beginning of p2. We thought it was due to change which he struggles with but it’s linked to his constipation. So a blast of meds’ over the October break and lots of positivity we have almost sorted both.

I accessed the Eric website which is great and helped us loads have a look.

Usually kids start doing things they’ve previously learned because of upset/change/stress. We worked with School to prevent accidents and support him so get School on board and hope they are helpful

Hope you get it sorted it’s stressful for all x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: