Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

11 month old hardly eating

(8 Posts)
AC14MUZ Sat 28-Oct-17 17:54:30

My 11 month old has gone from having a fantastic appetite to refusing most food over night. He will still eat a decent breakfast (porridge and fruit mashed in) but lunch and dinner are becoming a nightmare. Refuses anything I put in front of him and throws everything on the floor. Tonight I just about got a yoghurt down him and s little bit of fruit but his sandwich was flung in the floor immediately along with his rice crackers. I've stopped his mid morning and mid afternoon snack in the hope of him being hungry at meal times but he has lost all interest.

Should I be worried? Is this just a phase? Or do I have an incredible picky eater on my hands?! confused

Lukeandlorelai4Ever Sat 28-Oct-17 17:56:01

Teething?

Z0mbieBear Sat 28-Oct-17 17:57:08

What Luke said? Or otherwise ill?

ButtMuncher Sat 28-Oct-17 18:00:36

I read somewhere (sorry for ambiguity) that around this age they sort of change eating habits. Before everything was new and exciting, and after a while they start to get bored of bland textures and/or things they've had a lot.

My son would devour anything and around 12 months he stopped eating the things he usually liked. Part of it was teething (honestly, I had to switch to mash for a week once) and part of it was him wanting to try new things or not wanting to try them. It's strange and it does make you feel anxious and frustrated when you see half of it on the floor, particularly if you've got older children who ask why it's okay if baby throws their food and not them!

If he has cast iron favourites, try doing variations of those. Try introducing some new things, new textures and if you're BLW try doing some softer foods in case it's a teeth thing. Ultimately assuming your baby is still feeding milk normally then it's safe to say their appetite is still there, it's just a mixture of personality and teething that can cause issues around this time. I found my son has a sweet tooth and if I bought out anything for dessert before I'd finished his main meal he'd cry and cry for that and ignore his mains.

Mainly though, babies are just perpetual game changers grin

ButtMuncher Sat 28-Oct-17 18:01:22

Oh also - I had to limit meal times to not being around nap times (e.g. Not just before or just after) otherwise he wasn't interested.

MaverickSnoopy Sat 28-Oct-17 18:09:24

I would try giving dentinox 20 mins before meals. If no difference then it could just be stubborn baby itis - mine has had this on/off since 11mo (now 15mo). Things that I have found help:

* Alternating each mouthful between her feeding herself and me feeding her
* Sometimes when she has finger food she actually wants something on a spoon and vice versa
* Plenty of water throughout the day
* Letting her walk around to eat
* Following her around and dropping bits of food in her mouth

Basically it's a case of winging it. We go through great phases but then she remembers that she's not supposed to like food!

Good luck at sussing it.

AC14MUZ Mon 30-Oct-17 09:15:20

Doesn't appear to be teething, but he does seem to eat when his Dad feeds him or at the childminder. It just seems to be me he doesn't want to be fed by. The last few days he's been really playing up and "naughty" not listening to me when I tell him no etc. I'm 6 months pregnant so not sure if he is picking up on that and just trying his luck??

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 30-Oct-17 09:17:42

I had to be on the other side of the kitchen for months when my DD went through this phase. It was like my presence put her off her food.
I also think toddlers are like lizards : sometimes they eat a huge amount and other times they exist on air!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now