Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aggressive baby behaviour

(17 Posts)
Bella8 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:16:41

My 8 month old has been pulling hair for awhile now which I know can be typical for babies. However, DS has now started grabbing people's throats (usually mine.) He doesn't easily let go and it really hurts. I firmly say 'no' as I know at this age they are starting to understand tones of voice. I also know though that their memories are very small short. Any other suggestions on ways of handling this? Thank you.

Bella8 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:17:48

should say short only

Therealslimshady1 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:18:13

Babies cannot be aggressive, he has no awareness of hurting you

cestlavielife Thu 26-Oct-17 18:19:00

He is not aggressive.
Babies don't do this with malice.
He just needs to be diverted . Offer something else to grab

Bella8 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:24

Sorry I was only meaning that his action was aggressive; he obviously doesn't mean it. Thanks for your suggestions. DS has a lot of sensory stimulation I think he has too much to grab so he is beginning to think my neck is a play thing!

BertieBotts Thu 26-Oct-17 18:27:55

It's just a reflex at this age. He's learning to grab things and your neck happens to be close. Nothing to do with how many other things he has to grab.

You can't really teach him not to do it, he'll grow out of it when he gets better control over his arms and hands. Until then just try and hold him facing out or further away from your neck unless he's all sleepy and cuddly.

pastabest Thu 26-Oct-17 18:30:28

My 9 month old has a thing about noses. She grabs them really hard, she's even drawn blood before when she was overdue a nail trim. It's not aggressive just inquisitive.

Fucking hurts though.

It's just a phase. I just keep saying no and remove her hand, and warn anyone unsuspecting who puts their face within reach of her claws. If they don't listen that is kind of their fault.

She will get it eventually. Hopefully.

Bella8 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:38:21

Thanks pastabest. Oh yeah it bloody hurts alright. I've bruises on my throat, the little monkey gets me right on my windpipe ouch! I'm looking forward to this phase passing.

primarnoodle Thu 26-Oct-17 18:39:37

My dd started biting and grabbing around 9 months - im pretty sure by 1 year she knew it was something she shouldnt do as it always coincided with her having a whinge aboht something. I did what you did and just said no firmly and put her down for a couple of seconds then we had a cuddle and continued..

Now at 14 months shes just about grown out of it so i think it must be a developmental phase?

primarnoodle Thu 26-Oct-17 18:40:06

And yes to the nose grabbing! Argh!!

Bella8 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:46:19

Thank you primarnoodle. I completely agree with you and think it may be a developmental thing. DS has been very frustrated as he's trying to sit up unaided and hasn't quite managed it yet. That coupled with the teething has made for one very hot headed little chap. It must be very frustrating for babies wanting to do so much but not being yet able. Lots of cuddles and kisses will hopefully get him through this funky phase!

Bella8 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:47:19

And oh yes the nose grabbing; if only they knew it was attached 😬

Fekko Thu 26-Oct-17 18:47:38

Watch out for earrings and glasses. These are also very popular!

Bella8 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:49:47

Haha DS hasn't gone for the earrings yet but there's still time! He has however grabbed DH's glasses on more than a couple of occasions...🙄

Aquamarine1029 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:53:05

My daughter did this at the same age except it was biting my nipple when she was nursing. Like a damn crocodile. I would say no very firmly and set her down for a minute, and she knew I was not pleased. Thankfully, this charming phase didn't last long.

mindutopia Thu 26-Oct-17 22:14:02

Just gently pull his hand away if you don't want it. It's very typical for them to do this. It's like cats kneeding if you've ever seen one do that. It's a comfort thing. Mine actually pinches my neck (it's not painful, I've taught her to do it gently as I don't mind as long as it doesn't hurt). She's 4 now and still does it if she gets upset and I'm holding her to comfort her. She's done it since she was a baby. It's much like you twisting your hair or biting your nails absentmindedly. Some people get necklaces specially made that they can touch and play with if you don't like the grabbing and pinching. But otherwise, just move his hand away. It will eventually pass. They don't realise you don't like it at this age, so I'd not make a big deal out of it.

Bella8 Fri 27-Oct-17 16:06:39

Thanks mindutopia I never thought of it being a comfort thing but what you said makes a lot of sense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now