Talk

Advanced search

Anything better than youtube for kids?

(10 Posts)
lauren9 Thu 26-Oct-17 01:10:22

I've been letting Ds(4) use youtube for kids to keep him occupied. It's about the only thing that's sure to keep him busy. I try not to overuse it but even then he'll touch the screen sometimes and change the video. Can anyone suggest something better?

mindutopia Thu 26-Oct-17 10:20:49

We use BBC Kids iplayer. It's basically Cbeebies but on iplayer. You can also save videos (for a certain period of time, like 7-14 days) to watch offline if you'll be traveling or something and don't have the internet. They can still change them, but obviously much less likely to hit on random stuff. There are also apps you can download that let you lock the screen. I'm not sure how you find them or if they work on all tablets, but you could have a look.

IheartCaptainHolt Thu 26-Oct-17 10:25:48

My DS has the amazon prime app and I’ve put pin codes on anything rated above U

lauren9 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:08:09

Tried the BBC Kids player and it's really nice. The amazon prime app sounds a bit complicated to me so I think with this and youtube I should be fine.

Thanks! flowers

cheminotte Fri 27-Oct-17 09:12:49

Are you using YouTube kids app? At least then it's probably ok. I have also disabled the search function on it.
Also the Cbeebies app and Cbeebies storytime app are both good.

FlooOOOooomplet Fri 27-Oct-17 10:12:55

I thought YouTube kids was ok until recently and there are still a lot of very unsuitable channels on there - the Elsa / Spider-Man / joker dressing up people - some very inappropriate content that can crop up. I use amazon prime ap for ds.

lauren9 Sat 28-Oct-17 01:44:49

Yikes! shock I saw the elsa/spider man video and I found it extremely creepy!! I'm ditching YT for him and going to stick with Cbeebies from now.

I still have goosebumps from the video...brrrr... it was weird!! AFAIK Ds hasn't seen anything like this but I'm not taking the chance. Maybe a game app would work if he gets bored of Cbeebies.

cheminotte Sat 28-Oct-17 09:35:52

The Cbeebies app I mentioned is various games based on the TV programmes and is really good. No ads either!

FlooOOOooomplet Sat 28-Oct-17 14:39:11

Very inappropriate and scary content on that channel - eating poop from toilet seat, child pregnancy and termination, sexualisation of children. Very bizarre and can’t believe it’s allowed. In YT kids you can’t even report a video or block a channel either so it can pop up at any time if your child watches something related to Elsa or Spider-Man or whatever. There’s some sick and nasty people about.

savagehk Sat 28-Oct-17 14:56:45

I don't let my son near phone or tablet with internet on, but he's allowed certain apps I've set up through kids place app. I've also downloaded Netflix programs for offline use, equally useful if you're out and about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now