Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Pumpkin carving with a 14 month old?

(5 Posts)
bilbobaggi Wed 25-Oct-17 20:41:35

I was thinking of cutting the top off then let him get messy feeling the gooey insides, he loves different textures. He will also try eating it so is this a bad idea? Can he choke on the pumpkin seeds? He eats things much bigger and chunky but thinking whether they can get stuck in his throat. Then I can carve it for him and put a light in for him to watch. Any other ideas? I know they’ll be much more we can do next year!

littlemisscomper Wed 25-Oct-17 20:45:15

I wouldn't as, like you say, he'll try and eat it and possible choke on the seeds. Instead carve the pumpkin yourself, get rid of the seeds (see if your local animal rescue centre would like them for the rodents) and cook the pumpkin flesh, then maybe pop it back inside for your little one to discover. He can squelch it around and have fun taking the lid of the pumpkin off and on. I would maybe set it up on a clean shower curtain on the floor and just let him explore, and taste, as he likes. And take lots of piccies!

ApplesTheHare Wed 25-Oct-17 20:45:51

Haha he won't choke on a pumpkin seed. Sounds great though I just carved some pumpkins with my 3 year old and although she lived the squishy insides she got bored while I was doing the carving. I was thinking of trying some no carve ideas next:
www.parents.com/holiday/halloween/crafts/nocarve-pumpkin-ideas/

ApplesTheHare Wed 25-Oct-17 20:46:24

*loved, silly autocorrect!

bilbobaggi Thu 26-Oct-17 08:02:21

Thank you! Great ideas, it’s such an in between age but I like to do new things with him. I’ll have a go at some of those no carve pumpkins and maybe one with a candle in smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: