Talk

Advanced search

Amber bracelets for teething??

(15 Posts)
Jengib Wed 25-Oct-17 20:40:42

I am just wondering if anyone has had any experience with using amber bracelets for their teething baby? I have a 5 month old ds who is teething really bad. I am giving him calpol baby ibruprofen and using teething gels. I have asked about and a friend of mine said her sister used amber bracelets on her dd and it worked wonders. I know there is no miracle cure for teething but I hate seeing him in so much pain so anything I can do to help I will try. Thanks

Andcake Wed 25-Oct-17 20:44:52

Woo choking and strangulation hazards...

TittyGolightly Wed 25-Oct-17 20:45:08

Teething gel slides off gums - use anbesol liquid instead.

Ashton and parsons teething powders are great - the grittiness encourages babies to grind their guns which helps with pain relief, the sweetness takes their mind off the pain and there's calming chamomile too (unlike Teetha ones).

Amber bracelets are not proven to do anything - the heat required to release any compound from amber is hundreds of degrees, not body heat. There's a bit of a placebo effect though.

Jengib Wed 25-Oct-17 20:57:26

Thank you so much I will try the anbesol liquid and the teething powder. I didnt think the amber would do much and you are right they could be a choking hazard.

Cutesbabasmummy Thu 26-Oct-17 11:12:32

I tried an amber bracelet on my son but honestly I don't think it helped at all. I didn't find the teething powders helped either but anbesol was good.

Ktown Thu 26-Oct-17 11:16:33

I don’t understand how amber could help? Surely it could just break as it is brittle.

Aquamarine1029 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:18:35

Amber necklaces and bracelets are extremely dangerous and entirely useless. Babies have died because of them.

TittyGolightly Thu 26-Oct-17 12:48:34

Amber contains an analgesic substance and its peddled as natural pain relief delivered though being worn on the skin. As I said above, the temperature needed to extract anything from amber is significantly higher than body temperature.

They're not meant for babies to chew.

VinIsGroot Fri 27-Oct-17 04:28:49

Try Nelson's Teetha granules... We called them baby Smack..... They contain camomile and I'm not a wooo person at all..but the best teething aid ever ...

WanderingTrolley1 Fri 27-Oct-17 04:49:43

A friend uses them for both her children and swears by them.

TittyGolightly Fri 27-Oct-17 06:52:42

They contain camomile and I'm not a wooo person at all..but the best teething aid ever ...

They're homeopathic, so no actual chamomile in them. The gritty texture will help, but that's it.

Ashton and Parsons powders do contain chamomile.

shhhfastasleep Fri 27-Oct-17 07:14:45

Powders and anbesol. A grown up ish friend was “teething “ with wisdom teeth - late bloomer - and they told me it helped when I suggested. We used them on our dd.

ASqueakingInTheShrubbery Fri 27-Oct-17 08:15:19

Most of the powders are homeopathic. We used to call them ground bullshit. There may be some with active ingredients though. Amber has no scientific basis but if it's on the baby 's ankle and fits properly it's unlikely to do any harm. What worked for us was calpol and nurofen.

shhhfastasleep Fri 27-Oct-17 10:06:28

I think it is the texture of the powders that helps. I too think homeopathy is woo bullshit.

KarateKitten Fri 27-Oct-17 10:16:12

Teetha granules are a load of bollox. They are full of sweetener so you might as well rub some sugar on a baby's gums and say WOW, they stopped crying. Amazing.

Also, as with all homeopathic shite it's not subject to proper medical testing before use. So fuck knows what you're actually giving your baby with a load of these things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now