Talk

Advanced search

A&e trips and social services?!

(17 Posts)
kylaw Mon 23-Oct-17 22:02:29

My 11 month old has started to stand on his own and taking a few steps here and there. Last week he stood up on the bathroom cabinet because he wanted to get into the draws, within 2 seconds he pulled the draw and the cabinet fell on him! I panicked and rang 111 who said take him up a&e so we did straight away. Afterwards we got a call from social care asking why we didn’t take him to hospital, but we did! They rang the next day to say yes they could see we had and the case had been closed sad
7 days later, I thought I had closed the storage door and turned my back I suddenly heard a bang and my son was in there and had pulled the iron down and it hit his head sad I took him to walk in centre and they said he was fine and expect a lot more bumps along the way! I am absolutely panicking that social services are going to take my baby away from me. It was an accident but could this be seen as neglect? I love my son to pieces and would never cause any harm to him. I try to baby proof the Home with stair gates and tv on the wall but I feel such a terrible mother and it’s all my fault sad

PurplePillowCase Mon 23-Oct-17 22:06:50

these things happen. you are not a bad mother.
for the future you know to keep a better eye on your little one.

and it's a good thing that ss is following up. I had that as well when dc fell and bit through the lip. a quick appointment with hv and all was good.

fannyanddick Mon 23-Oct-17 22:07:38

I wouldn't worry. They always are on alert for these things but toddlers are so accident prone. Many many toddlers will have multiple trips to a and e to check their ok following a tumble. It doesn't mean they'll get taken away. I believe any head injury seen by a doctor in hospital is followed up by a social services call. But it would usually end there unless there are other concerns.

picklemepopcorn Mon 23-Oct-17 22:08:05

Things happen, try not to panic! If they were to get involved, it would just be a visit to help you baby proof and assess risk. Honestly, they have no desire for the cost and Work involved in removing children! It’s a last resort!

youarenotkiddingme Mon 23-Oct-17 22:12:02

That sounds like so automatic referral thing.

It'll be designed to stop parents ringing 111 and not taking injured babies to hospital.

Avoiding hospital is one of the signs of abuse.

Once they see you went all ok.

And sw are human! They know what toddlers are like and the injuries they get. They aren't worried about an injury - just whether parents take proper steps medically. You did so end of case flowers

abbsisspartacus Mon 23-Oct-17 22:12:26

On an extra note it's time to go through your home and see if there is anything else you need to move any obvious hazards etc

Mine swigged disinfectant at great nanny house they tried to bollock me over it and I had to point out I was one of four adults in the house and the reason there was no childlock was because it wasn't my house that plus at four you would think he knew better

123bananas Mon 23-Oct-17 22:16:20

It is just routine. Not all head injuries in children attending to hospital are followed up by SS, they would never have time!

111 have a policy of following up on children they refer to A&E to make sure they attended. If they are concerned about a non-attendance they flag to SS. In this case cross-wires with A&E probably meant they thought you hadn't taken him therefore flagged to SS.

Do not worry toddlers are particularly accident prone, he will not be taken away from you for two bumps on the head. Now that you know what he is capable of just make sure you add extra safety measures like a high latch on the cupboard for example.

Valeriemalorie Mon 23-Oct-17 22:18:10

We had to take DD to a&e at 6 months old with breathing trouble. There were signs up saying something about as a matter of routine social services would he informed about any child under 18 months old taken there. We had a call from the health visitor the next day asking if everything was ok. This was a few years ago but as far as I know it is something they have to do and you should not get worried at all x.

littlebird7 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:18:58

Try to feel happy that we have such a robust social service for children, rather than intimidated by it. They are not definitely not going to take your baby away and bumps and knocks are a natural and normal journey for most tots and young children.
Remember to fasten every large piece of furniture to the wall. It is cheap to do and you can avoid anything toppling on him,
Kitchen locks everywhere including the ones he could climb up to (i.e. All cupboards)
Make sure your car doors are child locked in the back
Socket covers everywhere
Stair gates unless they make it more dangerous
Move to toddler bed of climbing out of the cot
Safety proof your garden and sheds
Do one last check on floor level all over the house to see if you have missed anything

The next stage of your babies life will mean you need eyes in the back of your head. It doesn't last for pin and have fun with your newly active child

2014newme Mon 23-Oct-17 22:19:56

I don't agree that these things happen. Your child is in the move you need to baby proof the house properly. Pulling an iron onti his head! That could be very serious why is he unsupervised around an iron? Cop on to yourself

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 23-Oct-17 22:22:13

And buy some arnica cream- amazing stuff, obviously not for big crack on the head, but for minor bumps and bruises.

littlebird7 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:22:29

Pin - long

kylaw Mon 23-Oct-17 22:24:04

Like I have said I have baby proofed my house with stair gates and tv on wall, cupboard locks etc. He wasn’t unsupervised around an iron. The iron is stored in the cupboard and the wire must of been dangling down. Like I said I thought I had shut the door and within 2 seconds he was in there and pulled the wire. I never leave my son on his own

2014newme Mon 23-Oct-17 22:28:05

You need locks on the cupboard where the iron is then, those plastic ones you out at the top are good. They don't have to be on their own to get injured it can happen in seconds.

2014newme Mon 23-Oct-17 22:28:59

Nb you have not baby proofed house sufficiently if 2 incidents have happened already.

OneMoreTune Mon 23-Oct-17 22:31:02

Kylaw, but he must have been on his own (out of your eyesight) on both occasions for these things to have happened? confused for the iron, he’d have to get to the cupboard in the first place, open it, spot the cord, pull on it...

It doesn’t mean you’re a bad mum, of course it doesn’t, flowers but you can’t leave him alone unsecured. Even for a minute. If you need hands free you need to put him in his cot (make sure the base is at the right level).

crazyhairdontcare Mon 23-Oct-17 22:41:22

I'm a health visitor. I have to put in calls to parents about this stuff all day long. We/they are really not looking at the expected occasional accident that this clearly is, with a mobile baby. A three month old, yes we would question why he has an iron mark on his head. An 11 month old? Not so much. Stuff happens. Every day. Don't panic. For the record, if I have to make another phone call about storing liquitabs out of bloody reach I may actually scream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now