Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Bad nappy rash

(18 Posts)
sthitch Sat 21-Oct-17 11:01:14

It's one thing after another with my poor LO sad I changed her nappy this morning and she was a bit red so applied some sudacrem which normally does the trick and reduces any redness by the next change- changed her an hour later and the rash and turned into two little blisters (both at the front two sides) sad I've given her a bath and let her be free which is what we do nearly every night so she's not always in nappies- what should I do/buy to sort this out?

DorothyHarris Sat 21-Oct-17 11:02:42

The best thing I've found is yellow metanium cream. I've had three and this always starts to clear up very very quickly. Poor little mite it's awful isn't it.

Brittbugs80 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:05:30

Sudocrem can sometimes thin the skin and this can irritate nappy rash.

Bathe with Luke warm water and dab dry rather than rub. As much nappy free time as your floors can stand!

I find Metanium to be an effective cream for bad nappy rash too but I don't rate Bepanthan much.

Brittbugs80 Sat 21-Oct-17 11:07:02

Forgot to say, avoid wipes when changing nappy too and stick with a cotton cloth and water. I buy packs of muslin clothes and cut them into wipe size squares. You can wash them after too.

Santawontbelong Sat 21-Oct-17 11:08:20

Maybe try a different brand of nappy. Ds seemed to get nappy rash bad in some and not others.

HonestOtter Sat 21-Oct-17 11:09:37

Metanium cream works for my little girl. Keep an eye on the blisters, if they spread it could be something other than nappy rash.

womaninatightspot Sat 21-Oct-17 11:10:15

I was just coming on to say Bepanthan. I'm not sure it does much good at sorting out a rash but it is a really effective barrier cream, I use it when teething or with a dickie tummy and have found it really effective. Free time to let rash dry out then barrier cream when nappy on sorted any redness/ rash out within a day for me.

sthitch Sat 21-Oct-17 11:11:39

Thanks everyone - I will buy some metanium - I hope it's ok to put on the blisters? I'll keep an eye on them- what else could they be? I will also just wipe with cotton wool and water.

womaninatightspot Sat 21-Oct-17 11:20:01

Blisters in the crotch can turn into chicken pox ime. Apparently the warm nappy can mean the spots pop up faster in the groin followed in a couple of days by 4000 others..

TheresALight Sat 21-Oct-17 11:23:46

If it gets worse I'd suggest going to see a pharmacist to check what they recommend

Mine had a nappy rash that blistered and the pharmacist suggested caniston cream to clear it up.

sthitch Sat 21-Oct-17 12:44:03

I just went to the pharmacy and the lady looked at the pictures and recommended caniston - I hope this will help!!

tinymeteor Sun 22-Oct-17 20:41:38

Metanium shifts most standard nappy rash. If that's not working, may be infected in which case GP can prescribe antifungal/thrush creams as appropriate.

TooMinty Sun 22-Oct-17 20:53:02

How old is your LO? If on solids then sometimes particular foods can cause a bad reaction - I had to avoid bread with seeds in for my two.

sthitch Sun 22-Oct-17 21:50:42

6 weeks old on wednesday- the cream seems to be reducing the redness and it hasn't got any worse, the sores are still there but I guess they won't go overnight - going to give it until Tuesday and ring the drs if no better (or tomorrow if it gets worse) plenty more nappy off time as well and using water to wipe her down.

DesignedForLife Sun 22-Oct-17 21:58:17

Metanium is best, but we had to go to Drs with DS to get a course of antifungal stuff. Tried three different prescriptions till we got the right one poor mite. Make sure you're drying completely, and try different brands of nappies. Asda little ones worked best for us.

clarabellski Mon 23-Oct-17 16:12:10

I thought it might be fungal from your description.

DS has had this a couple of times and the canesten does clear it up. It does take a few days though. Lots of nappy free time (and banning from carpeted rooms, lol!)

sthitch Mon 23-Oct-17 16:28:49

I'm guessing it's from using wipes when we're out...(now taking cotton wool with us) I don't mean to be thick but when do people use wipes? because they are for sale by nappies so thought they would be ok for when we're not at home but it's obviously not gone down well! Today the sores are starting to get smaller and it doesn't seem to be hurting her so I'm a lot happier!

HonestOtter Tue 24-Oct-17 12:49:51

It could be the brand of wipes. My DD can only use huggies fragrance free wipes, anything else brings her out in a rash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now