Talk

Advanced search

Dual post- baby sleep and formula!?

(18 Posts)
LetItRain88 Sat 21-Oct-17 06:19:44

My LB is 6 weeks old and will take his last feed at about 10pm. The next feed he will take is around 5am.

In-between this time he wakes on the hour and fusses, but won’t take a bottle as he’s just not hungry. I offer it to him a few times each time he wakes but he’s just not interested and I have to just sooth him back to sleep again which takes about half an hour. So he’s asleep for about 20-30 mins at a time and I am going to lose my mind.

If anything his sleep is getting worse not better.

Since he was born I have not had longer than 1.5 hours sleep in a row, pretty sure this is what torture feels like. OH takes him but when he wakes and cry’s and fusses it wakes me up still so still no decent block of sleep in over 6 weeks.

We have white noise, a darkened room & bedtime routine of bath, massage, New pyjamas, bottle and laying him down. He will be happy to settle and sleep in his Moses basket but sometimes insists on sleeping with me so we are occasionally co sleeping too, but still wakes just as often.

The second part of this post is about sick and poo I’m afraid.

He literally will bring up what seems to be entire bottles almost every feed. Either during burping, as I lay him down or even an hour later.

Aptamil Anti Reflux worked for about a week then suddenly had no effect, so went back on to Hipp Organic Combiotic milk. We are adding Carabol to thicken it as on its own it’s too watery and comes back up immediately.

He’s having Infacol before each feed as he also has colic 😑.

Also since going back onto Hipp Organic three days ago he is doing about 8-10 massive poo nappies in 24 hours. During the day, during the night, just seems to constantly be filling nappies. His poos are bright yellow and getting more watery as the days go on. It’s now 6am and I have just changed my 4th poo nappy of the night about half an hour ago and already he’s heaving to do another.

Has anyone got advice on how to keep this baby asleep for longer periods? I wouldn’t mind as much if it was to feed but he will wake and fuss even while being held close and warm and I don’t know what else I can do. He’s not in pain that I can tell, he literally just wakes up and makes noises (like a broken bicycle chain?!) until he’s ready to sleep again. It’s like he power naps🙄.

Also advice on what’s happening with his sick and poos please and how to stop it.

Hellllpppp

One very tired, very sick covered mama x

SilverAndCold Sat 21-Oct-17 06:22:21

Ask your doctor to prescribe baby Gaviscon. It sounds like he has reflux. Gaviscon makes a massive difference.

Babydreaming Sat 21-Oct-17 06:37:34

Sounds like possible cows milk protein allergy? Bad reflux, irritable, vomiting after feeds. I’d suggest asking your GP for a trial of hypoallergenic milk

FenellaMaxwellsPony Sat 21-Oct-17 06:44:38

Another one saying doctors here. Is he keeping to his weight curve?

HashtagTired Sat 21-Oct-17 06:50:44

Is he putting on weight?

AshGirl Sat 21-Oct-17 06:54:11

You poor things, this sounds really hard flowers

I agree that a trip to the GP is necessary to rule out any other issues. It seems unusual that he would go so long between feeds.

brew and cake in the meantime

cozzietoes Sat 21-Oct-17 06:55:48

You need to have him checked out for a possible cows milk protein allergy, and he could possibly have reflux.

Eeeeek2 Sat 21-Oct-17 08:14:43

Sound just like my ds - it was cows milk protein allergy

amys14 Sat 21-Oct-17 08:19:58

Definitely sounds like reflux to me if he not settling lying down and brings up full feeds. Ask doctor for Infant Gaviscon or Ranitidine. Our 6 week old son was the same and was prescribed Ranitidine and he's generally more settled now (though has a cold at the moment I think which is keeping him up between feeds more!)

Good luck!

LetItRain88 Sat 21-Oct-17 08:33:30

Yes his weight plotting is perfect the HV said that as long as thats ok to just carry on as we are. Which is all well and good except I’m losing my mind over constant sick, poo and no sleep! (I know- part and parcel of having a new born but this is nexxxxt level).

Thanks ladies I’m gonna book a dr apt for next week. He’s due his first check in 2,weeks but I can’t wait that long and not sure we should with the amount of poo turning into diahrrea or however it’s spelled

Might pop to the pharmacy later too and ask there if I need to worry about dehydration.

Do u ladies think this will be an issue? He’s having thickened milk and that much poo/diahrrea...xx

LetItRain88 Sat 21-Oct-17 08:35:54

Would calling 111 be over kill? X

LapinR0se Sat 21-Oct-17 08:37:54

I would take him to be seen this weekend as I don't think it's normal to have so much poo & sick. And doctors are always always happier to see tiny babies.
I would be looking at CMPA, reflux or possibly a bug from your description.

Babydreaming Sat 21-Oct-17 10:27:11

I went to a&e with my babies due to poor feeding, diarrhoea and vomiting and we were actually admitted to the ward. He was diagnosed with CMPA and started on special formula. At 6 weeks his weight was plotting fine but after that started to tail off because he was associating feeding with pain. I wish drs had diagnosed him earlier as even after starting the special formula he was then aversive to feeding as it became a learnt behaviour.

sthitch Sat 21-Oct-17 15:06:14

Poor you - I feel your pain, I have a 6 week old and we're also having a few problems. We were prescribed infant gaviscon for the sickness - she had it twice and hasn't been as sick since so not needing to use it (I know gaviscon doesn't have a lasting affect but it's just one of those things that's got better)

Does your LO have a dummy? I was adamant mine wouldn't but the crying got too much and she sleeps really well at night now - mine will wake up once at around 3am (bed at 10) and then sleep until 7. The only thing with the dummy is I take it out as soon as she's asleep otherwise it falls out and wakes her up- this might not help with the waking up for a whinge but your LO may go off to sleep better? Keep going with the white noise, we bought a myhummy toy which has helped a lot.

sthitch Sat 21-Oct-17 15:07:23

By the way I know what you mean about the weight thing- as long as it follows the graph to a degree, they are not remotely interested!

LetItRain88 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:26:41

He does have a dummy and sometimes fusses for his dummy, but sometimes pulls a face and spits it out immediately confused

Will book a docs apt for Monday as when he’s awake he genuinely seems happy enough- rarely actually cries, just sort of makes noises and looks about unless he’s hungry which is when he will moan a bit or cry if I miss the feeding cues.

Been just about hanging on in there for 6 weeks thinking “it will get better, it will get better, it will get better”...but that it’s getting worse is actually making me feel like I’m g

LetItRain88 Sat 21-Oct-17 18:27:33

Posted before I was ready 😑

Was gonna say ...gonna lose it!!! Lol xxx

Sparklyuggs Sun 22-Oct-17 20:12:38

I had similar and it was a cow's milk allergy and reflux, but he gained weight well due to feeding so much, every 1.5-2 hours. The right medicine and formula have transformed him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now