Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Feeding enquiries

(8 Posts)
ch24 Fri 20-Oct-17 15:34:13

I’ve had health visitor today and she weighed my baby and she’s growing nicely and putting on the correct weight,
I feed her 4 times a day 6 oz each time and she sleeps all night she’s fine with her routine. Now the health visitors saying I don’t feed her enough and should try to squeeze 2 more feeds into the day she’s 3 months old and perfectly healthy is this right to give her extra I can’t force her to drink more milk . What do other mums think ?

Eeeeek2 Fri 20-Oct-17 16:57:25

I’d say it’s unusual for a baby that old to eat that infrequently, but babies don’t read the handbook.

If she is putting on weight fine then I can’t see the problem.

Does she finish the bottles? If so I’d up the oz to see if she wants more or offer another feed and she’ll either drink it or not.

ch24 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:03:20

She finishes it all yeah I’ve sometimes tried 2 oz extra but once she’s burped she’s fallen straight to sleep so I don’t see a problem really baby tells me when hungry.

Eeeeek2 Fri 20-Oct-17 18:23:13

I’d make 7oz bottles for a few days and sees what happens, I always uped the oz once ds finished bottles regularly and then if he always left an oz I’d drop down again for a bit.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 20-Oct-17 18:36:18

Really she should be having roughly 2.5 floz per pound of weight. So if she’s 10lb, she should have roughly 25 floz in 24 hours.

Is she meeting all of her milestones? Is she tracking her weight centiles? Is she very sleepy between feeds?

SureJan Fri 20-Oct-17 18:38:10

I started a similar thread about this OP, my DS is 3 months & is on 4 bottles a day (7oz each) & is sleeping through the night. I went to get him weighed this week & he's gaining fine. HV said she had no concerns & was happy for me to carry on doing as I'm doing.

GerrytheBerry Fri 20-Oct-17 18:58:52

I wouldn't think that was enough milk, but that said if your baby is gaining weight and following centile then it must be enough!

mindutopia Fri 20-Oct-17 20:43:43

It does seem unusual that she eats so infrequently. At that age, mine was definitely having 8 feeds a day, every 3 ish hours. But it wasn't quite so much at one time. What is she like between feeds? I doubt her stomach is big enough to have more in one go, but does she show signs of hunger or cry between feeds? If so, I would feed right away. Mine wasn't down to 4 feeds a day until about 11 months, but having 6-8 oz per feed. I suspect you'll eventually need to add in an extra feed or two as her calorie needs will go up but her stomach size won't increase much more. But if she shows no hunger cues or doesn't cry between feeds and is maintaining her centile line, you don't necessarily need to rush to do that now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now