Talk

Advanced search

The battle that is getting dressd

(15 Posts)
Nottalotta Thu 19-Oct-17 09:49:56

Or changing a nappy.
.I remember, pre children, thinking "what do you mean your toddler won't get dressed? Just put the clothes on him! "

Hmmm. Ds1 is 2.3 and unless I change nappy and dress him while he drinks his morning milk (before breakfast. .....) it's a bloody nightmare. He treats it as a game, rolling over, running or crawling away, thrashing about . I've tried just dressing him, it's not pleasant, results in tears and re the nappy I can't get it on properly unless he cooperates.

I've tried playing the game, it never ends really. And sometimes I don't have time.

I knowill it's probably a phase, but any tips on how to make it easier?

elQuintoConyo Thu 19-Oct-17 09:59:03

I had one of those! Much easier when out of nappies as that was what he really hated - being on his back, having no control, having his legs squeezed into trousers, feet in socks etc.

I did a combination of ridiculous things:
I had spare clothes at hand so ds could dress his bear as i dressed him.
I'd put his clothes on in a silly way- sock on a hand, trousers over an arm, legs through tshirt etc, then see if he could work out where they should really go.
I'd sing a short song and expect him to have helped put on a sock by the end of it (incy wincy spider was a good one).
I'd get dressed with him - here ds, help me with my tshirt.
We'd talk to body parts - hello mr tummy, are you cold? would you like a jumper? Etc

Of course, none of these worked if we were in a hurry!

My sympathies flowers

TempStamos Thu 19-Oct-17 10:00:51

I get my DC to pick their own clothes (normally out of a few options I have selected and put out on the floor) and then let them have as much input in trying to put the clothes on, obviously with lots of assistance still at that age.

SnugglySnerd Thu 19-Oct-17 10:04:11

I do it as soon as they wake up before they have a chance to get distracted by any toys/TV etc. It is easier now she is 3 and wants to do everything for herself as she now asks us to help her get dressed.

ZZZZ1111 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:05:40

Have you tried pull on nappies?

TepidCat Thu 19-Oct-17 19:21:10

We have a number of techniques which (now he is talking more at 2y9m) he chooses when I say ‘I know you hate getting dressed but it has to be done so what is going to make it easier for you today’ options range from 1) whilst reading a story 2) get a sticker 3) whilst there is a song on YouTube 4) during a TV program 5) playing ‘beat the clock’ - set timer on your phone and do a silly game show style excited voice (really OTT) 6) one item on and then race to the other end of the room and back ...

It’s exhausting but we usually get there quickly now - can you tell ive had months of practice!

Prusik Thu 19-Oct-17 19:23:38

My ds is like this already and is only nine months old!!!

Cranb0rne Thu 19-Oct-17 20:14:42

Going through this a second time! Had to take him half naked to nursery this morning and of course he willingly put his clothes on there. Sometimes distracting him with my phone, car keys or a little pot of blueberries works.

Nottalotta Thu 19-Oct-17 22:14:47

YouTube would work but he gets bloody wailing and snotty when I turn it off so have been avoiding using it tbh. I don't like pull ups as you have to take the shoes and trousers off to put a new one on!

He's also copying the baby who flips and crawls away cackling so it's hard to tell him off for that.

Ummmmgogo Thu 19-Oct-17 22:18:56

when mine went through that stage I just pinned them down and got them dressed. they hated it but at least it's quick.

could you potty train now?

BubblesBuddy Thu 19-Oct-17 22:20:46

Why is it ok for him to behave like your baby? Maybe a bit of being big brother might be a useful tactic? After a baby arrived my DD didn't want to be the "baby".

Nottalotta Thu 19-Oct-17 22:24:46

Bubbles he often copies the baby. I do make sure I tell them both off (as in no baby, we don't touch that, no toddler we don't touch that) the same, but I often send all day alone with both of them and ds has receny been feeling quite insecure I think. It's certainly attention seeking but then I feel that neither gets enough attention from me but that's another thread.

Nottalotta Thu 19-Oct-17 22:25:15

I don't think he's quite there for potty training. Close though

llangennith Thu 19-Oct-17 22:29:52

When compliant DD1 was 5 I scorned friends whose DDs kicked up a fuss about clothes. Then i had DD2 six years later. What an eye opener! I found myself negotiating what knickers she'd wear with a stroppy 3 year oldconfused

clarabellski Fri 20-Oct-17 09:28:29

I've just ordered pull up nappies to try them out as have a very similar situation with our DS (20m)

Also, he only acts out when it is me or DH changing him. He's as good as gold for nursery staff or grandparents hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now