Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Constant hitting screaming between 2,5yo DS1 & 15m DS2

(5 Posts)
Biboundeo Wed 18-Oct-17 22:10:18

OMG it’s hard...
DS1 2,5yo and DS2 15mo keep hitting each other. If they’re not hitting, they’re picking on each other. If they’re not picking, they’re stealing each other’s toys. If they’re not stealing, they’re screaming in unison because... the other one is screaming.
FGS what’s wrong with them, me, the world???

Individually they’re adorable. We talk about feelings and boundaries and how to manage frustrations and stuff, I mean... I got this... until I put them together and bang, they try to strangle each other.

I read Faber & Mazlish siblings rivalry but they’re just too young for most tips (we do use the listen/ talk tips extensively though with a lot of success).
What else is out there? Do you have tips?
Thanks!

hotbathsdontmeltfat Wed 18-Oct-17 22:24:58

What do you do when it happens? Do you say a firm no and mean it?

ladyvimes Wed 18-Oct-17 22:30:28

If you hit you have a time out for 1-2 min depending on age. Then you say sorry and hug. Every time. Until they realise that it is not ok to hit. (The 2.5 year old is definitely old enough for this maybe sit in time out with the 15mo more for the 2.5 year old’s sake so he can see that they are both being treated the same.)

Biboundeo Wed 18-Oct-17 22:38:13

When they hit, I say a firm and stern stop and focus my attention on the one who’s been hit. If it’s DS1 hitting, I ask him if he thinks he can stop himself next time or if he needs to spend time without his brother. 4 out of 5 times, he’s then totally able to control himself. But then DS2 hits him... and I then have to console DS1 and remove DS2 from the situation. I mostly spend my time trying to do two individual activities at the same time with one on each side of the room 🙄 It will get better when they can both speak and understand a few boundaries right?

hotbathsdontmeltfat Thu 19-Oct-17 12:10:18

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to me, YY to the injured party getting all the attention etc
As they say on here a lot... this too will pass...!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: