Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What do you do with birthday cards??

(11 Posts)
P1nkSparkles Wed 18-Oct-17 17:15:08

Just had DD's first birthday & she has got quite a few birthday cards.

I've kept the new baby, babies first Christmas & thanksgiving cards in a memory box for her.... I feel a bit weird about chucking away her birthday cards - but equally feel like I need to draw the line somewhere.

What have other people done with their kids birthday cards?? Are there any nice creative ideas for turning them into a keepsake for her... or am I being over sentimental and should I just get rid of them??

triangularchocolate Wed 18-Oct-17 17:35:34

I kept them for a few months under the pretence that I'd make a collage out of them, but then decided to start 'ruthless decluttering' and they got recycled. I don't have cards from when I was a baby. If I did they'd get recycled too!

TheScottishPlay Wed 18-Oct-17 18:27:29

I have DS first birthday cards and keep those given by GPs for a year in case it's the last ones!

LurkingQuietly Wed 18-Oct-17 18:29:27

I got mine made into an amazing frame by a woman on Facebook. Everyone comments on it.

RosyPony Wed 18-Oct-17 18:30:28

Chuck them in the recycling

formerbabe Wed 18-Oct-17 18:32:02

I chuck them! Unless any of them are those personalised/photo type ones, in which case, I pop them in my memory box.

P1nkSparkles Wed 18-Oct-17 19:32:48

Hmmm mixed bag them -

@LurkingQuietly - is that just first birthday ones?? it sounds lovely.

@triangularchocolate that's what I'm worried I might do... have the best of intentions.

@TheScottishPlay that's a really good point about GP's

Maybe it's worth keeping the GP's and any nice/personalised ones as a general rule then... but I might have a look into collages etc just for the first birthday ones.

Thanks everyone

LurkingQuietly Wed 18-Oct-17 20:51:41

I may get in trouble for this but I PROMISE I'm not in anyway involved but I used Framing Great on Facebook for my kids cards when they were born, their first birthday cards and my wedding cards blush

P1nkSparkles Wed 18-Oct-17 21:39:47

Oh wow - I've just looked and they look great!!

Thank you - i hope you wouldn't get into any trouble... I did ask!! Xx

MaggieFS Wed 18-Oct-17 21:53:04

My Dad always wrote the year in birthday cards. Sometimes there would be a small message or the picture on the card would be topical. Since I became an adult I've kept the ones from immediate family and started dating them all myself. My Dad died this year and amongst his paperwork, we've found boxes with each of our names on them, containing amongst other things all of the cards he gave to us in our early years. The fact he made the effort to keep them all safely stored for almost forty years means more to me than the cards themselves. He never came across as sentimental and I can't tell you how much it means to me to have found them and read them and that he kept them.
I vote keep them, not all, but some.

LurkingQuietly Wed 18-Oct-17 21:56:20

The good thing about those frames is that you keep the message pages so you can keep the ones with nice messages, or from special people, scrap the rest and use all the card fronts. They really are lovely. I'd take photos of my 5 but it's pretty outing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now