Talk

Advanced search

Help 6 week old only sleeps if cuddled

(12 Posts)
AnnaGG Tue 17-Oct-17 19:23:07

Hi - I have a 6 week old baby and she will only sleep if she is being cuddled. I swaddle her and it doesn't help. Every time I put her down when she has fallen asleep she wakes up and cries until she is cuddled again. Can anyone advise how to change this. I love cuddling her but I can't do this all day

Jenala Tue 17-Oct-17 19:25:02

My 16 week old is still like this wine

BertrandRussell Tue 17-Oct-17 19:27:13

"I love cuddling her but I can't do this all day"

Yes you can! It'll only for a little while...smile

BrawneLamia Tue 17-Oct-17 19:27:51

It's normal. Try a sling so you can get a stuff done while she sleeps.
Or try cuddling her to sleep lying down so you can sneak off when she's in a deep sleep.

QueenNefertitty Tue 17-Oct-17 19:28:12

Yep. 6 weeks is no time at all in the world, compared to 9 months inside you. Have a google of the fourth trimester, and try go with the flow ...

FizzyFeet Tue 17-Oct-17 19:30:25

You might have already tried this, but just in case - when she's fallen asleep on you, lower her into her basket/cot by keeping her close to your body and slowly slowly bending from your hips so that she stays close all the while, then gently slide your hand(s) out from underneath. Apparently lowering too swiftly away from your body triggers a reflex - they think they are monkeys falling from a tree - and wakes them. A health visitor gave me this tip and it worked on my DD - hope it helps you.

Harvey246 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:33:09

Cuddle her. Buy a sling. It passes very quickly trust me.

PotteringAlong Tue 17-Oct-17 19:35:06

Is she your first baby? Then yet you can cuddle her all day! Enjoy it whilst you're not trying to juggle cuddling / making lunch / playing playdoh simultaneously like you will be if you choose to have number 2 smile

greendale17 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:39:34

Seriously your baby is only 6 weeks old!

Just go with the the flow for now and enjoy the cuddles

SecondHandSnake Tue 17-Oct-17 19:42:43

Sounds quite normal. She's tiny and the world is massive and scary, she just wants to be close to you.

Those first newborn weeks are my favourite time. I loved all that cuddling.

If I did want to put mine down in a Moses basket for a while, I'd warm it up with a hot water bottle. Seemed to do the trick 80% of the time.

CautiouslyPessimistic Tue 17-Oct-17 19:54:36

Hi OP, I just wanted to say that while I totally agree that the first 6 weeks go really quickly in retrospect, I also know how overwhelming, exhausting, and long they seem while you're in them. Babies wanting to be cuddled all the time is totally normal, but that doesn't mean it's not hard sometimes when you're exhausted, so I guess I just wanted to say that wanting to be able to put your LO down occasionally is totally normal. What we did was buy a bouncer that vibrates. My DD would nap in that when she wouldn't nap at all in a Moses basket. I would sit on the sofa and foot bounce her while she slept. I'd also say if there's anyone you can ask to come round and hold the baby occasionally while you get a bit of time to yourself I would definitely do that. smile

ODog Tue 17-Oct-17 20:21:39

Sling and safe co-sleeping.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now