Talk

Advanced search

Late talkers. When did your children talk?

(9 Posts)
cornishgirl17 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:09:11

My DD is two and 3 months old. She only has a handful of words.

Her older brother my DS didn't speak until he was four/five but is now non stop (he does have Autism).

My DD has been assessed due to her lack of speech and she has no other signs of autism, so we've been told she has a general speech delay.

Despite not talking. Her understanding is okay, I've been told her non-verbal communication skills are good and she has great concentration skills. She's also incredibly clever, despite not being able to talk. She constantly babbles and makes sounds.

My question is, when did your late talkers start talking?

Tia 😊

LurkingQuietly Tue 17-Oct-17 19:15:48

About 2 years 4-5 months maybe. Literally went from no words to full sentences over night.

TempStamos Tue 17-Oct-17 19:20:15

My eldest DD was having conversations at 2, So was so incredibly worried that none of my other children were talking at all by that age. But as long as her other skills are good I would just keep encouraging her and try not to stress about it. All children take different times to reach certain milestones.

Ineedmoreshoes Tue 17-Oct-17 20:42:57

My lo was probably 3y 2/3months. Understanding was there but little so each.

bridgetjonesmassivepants Tue 17-Oct-17 20:47:22

Both of mine said their first words early and then shut up. They didn't start talking till they were just three and then it was very quickly full sentences. My eldest used to do a weird thing where he'd literally say "Der, der der, der, der, Mummy" and I'd have to work out what he meant. Both are now fine, no SEN, making great progress etc.

Neolara Tue 17-Oct-17 20:51:42

They were all latish.. I don't think any of them said much until at least 2 1/2. Then their language exploded. They've all turned out pretty on the ball.

Liara Tue 17-Oct-17 20:52:20

DS1 didn't really talk at all until after he was 2 or 3, then talked non stop but pronounced badly until he was 4 or 5, now talks clearly (and constantly).

I remember once when he was about 5 or 6 and I asked him (in exhaustion) 'do you ever actually shut up?' he answered without pausing for breath 'no, when you make me I just carry on going blah blah blah inside my head.'

Lairymilk Tue 17-Oct-17 20:55:10

Nothing until 2.5 - 3, which coincided with speech therapy. 2.5 for words and short sentences by 3.

Now at 6 she is unusually articulate and people can't believe it when I say she had SALT!

cornishgirl17 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:12:40

Thanks all! 😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: