Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about baby carriers/slings/wraps

(17 Posts)
SecretLifeOfSam Mon 16-Oct-17 19:21:36

I am looking to buy a baby carrier/wrap/sling, but after searching I'm a bit overwhelmed by the choice out there!

Which would you recommend?

Baby is 8 weeks at the moment.

Hmmalittlefishy Mon 16-Oct-17 19:24:41

Is there a sling library near you?
That would be the best thing to go and get some advice and try different ones out.
I would go for a stretchy wrap first which looks a bit daunting but isn't really and then. When baby is bigger move to either a woven wrap, buckles (like a connecta now called integra or tula etc or ring sling (or a combination!)
Congratulations on your baby flowers

feesh Mon 16-Oct-17 19:25:44

I've used Ergos, Mei Tais and Moby Wraps with my twins, but with this baby I bought a Marsupi - it's a German brand - and I love it. It's all held with Velcro, so it's really easy to put on and lightweight, and the straps cross over at the back which makes them much more comfy than the Ergo. The fabric is linen so it's lovely to wear. It's worth looking at.

toastytea Mon 16-Oct-17 19:26:52

So from newborn I used the "je port mon bebe" basic wrap. It's a soft sling and I loved it! Reasonably priced too.

Then once baby got heavier (can't remember at what age), I got an ergobaby carrier. I got the original which does front inward facing, hip carry and back carry. I really like it. Mostly use front inward facing! I do lots of short treks/hikes with it - usually around 5 miles.

Hope this helps!

Hmmalittlefishy Mon 16-Oct-17 19:35:20

Oh forgot to say - I would avoid narrow based carriers like baby bjorns or cheap palm and pond carriers as they can be uncomfortable for you and baby or any ergo carriers off eBay as they have had a problem with counterfeits.
If you say what you are looking at maybe we can help although as I said before sling library would be best

overmydeadbody Mon 16-Oct-17 19:40:48

Go for a wrap sling for the first year or so, then a ring sling.

And you don't need to buy expensive brands, you really don't. It's like anything, some slings are just 'designer' not worth the money, but a name if you care about that sort of stuff.

Plenty of stretch wrap slings on Amazon for about£10, they are the same as a moby.

I you a ring sling from mamaway.

MoMandaS Mon 16-Oct-17 19:41:39

At this age I think a Hop-tye would be ideal, or maybe a Bardolino. I love my Ergo for later on, once they're ready for back carries.

MyOtherProfile Mon 16-Oct-17 19:41:58

We were baba sling fans. Carried both babies until they were about 2 and a half in them.

silkpyjamasallday Mon 16-Oct-17 19:42:29

Checking out some different styles at a sling library is probably your best bet as everyone has different preferences. DP and I have a Baby K'tan sling each and have used it from newborn and are still using it now DD is 13 months. We liked the versatility, and the first way of using it for newborns is so close and lovely. They have definitely been worth the money and it was nice for DP to have his own for bonding in the early days when dd was almost permanently attached to me because of bf, and it was nice for me to have a break!

Changerofname987654321 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:44:37

Definitely get yourself to a sling library.

Bluerosethorns Mon 16-Oct-17 19:46:09

No idea what brand but Perez Hilton came up on my instagram newsfeed today and the ones he has for his baby look like the best ones ive seen for ages!

talkshowhost97 Mon 16-Oct-17 20:01:25

I have a strong preference for a structured sort of carrier like ergo/manduca but others love the Moby wrap sort of slings which is the total opposite.

I really think you need to try them out to see what works for you, so agree with all the recommendations to find your nearest sling library.

mindutopia Mon 16-Oct-17 20:19:36

I would recommend going to a sling meet and trying a few and getting some help with fit before you make a decision. What's right for one person/body/baby might not be right for another as it's very individual. We used a moby wrap from birth to about 4 months, but most babies tend to outgrow a stretchy wrap around then (so while I do recommend them, they're wonderful, unless you know you'll have another and use it then, it might be better value to hire one from the sling library for a few months). We also had an ergo baby, which was great (we used that until our daughter was about 2 years). But personally I preferred a woven wrap (there are loads, any popular brands are good, just depends what you like). They do take a bit more getting used to and have a steeper learning curve, but are more comfortable than a carrier. I used it with my daughter until she was probably nearly 3, so they last a long time. A sling meet/library is your best bet though for figuring out what you like.

Hmmalittlefishy Mon 16-Oct-17 22:10:58

Just to clarify.
When I mentioned not going for cheap Ebay slings it wasn't about being snobby about the name of a wrap or carrier it was more to do with safety and comfort. Some haven't been securely tested so use plastic rings, have instructions showing babies in a dangerous carry that don't follow TICKS guidelines and at the least can often not be very ergonomic or comfortable.
I wouldn't want op to be put off carrying her baby and all those lovely bonding moments because of an uncomfortable carrier
A sling library allows you to try out what suits and is economical. I borrowed plenty of more expensive carriers but actually preferred a cheaper brand (just don't ask about woven! wink)

SecretLifeOfSam Mon 16-Oct-17 22:30:44

Thank you everyone for all the recommendations! I will definitely get to the next local session in a couple of weeks to see what's best.

I previously used one with plastic buckles (I don't know the names - yet - I'm sure I will after I Google all of these!!) For my eldest (a hand-me-down), but I found it uncomfortable on my back.

CaptainWarbeck Tue 17-Oct-17 06:08:53

We've used a connecta from newborn to around age 2 and it's great. It has buckles so easy to clip together but nice and soft to hold baby against your front or back. Has a hood for sun/rain shade and neck support too. We love ours. Best thing we ever bought.

Cuppaqueen Wed 18-Oct-17 09:32:34

Just to add, try your baby in the sling too! I had a babybjorn and woven wrap; my son hated them both from the get-go. 3 weeks old and beating his tiny fists to be let out. He hates having his arms and legs held down in any way. I'm told most babies love them but ... there's always one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now