Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for cups for BF baby

(8 Posts)
Ilovevegas Mon 16-Oct-17 14:05:09

My DS 8 months is BF. He won't take a bottle. I've been trying to introduce a sippy cup for a while now as will be back to work after Christmas.

It's not working, he doesn't seem to know what to do with it & just tops it upside down over himself 🙄

I've tried to 'show' him & he will drink the water if put in his mouth but won't do it himself.

Any tips/suitable cups for me to use?

Many thanks.

KalaLaka Mon 16-Oct-17 14:10:50

I give my baby water out of normal cups/glasses/mugs. I hold it, though. She's not always keen on drinking from her own sippy cup and it took a while to teach.

I'd keep on with a free-flow (not non spill) cup and just hold it for him. Nursery can also do the same, so don't worry.

mindutopia Mon 16-Oct-17 14:41:12

Mine wasn't BF at that age, but still didn't take to a cup for a while. You might find some successful with a doidy cup. Or a straw cup (Moma straw cups are great). Give it to him to play with in the bath. But really just keep offering and give it time. I think I could get mine to sometimes take a sip around 9 months, but only if I helped. She didn't drink on her own until about 13 months (this is from the straw cup). Then she got it easily after that. 8 months is still young though so I would expect him not to have much interest and to need help potentially for awhile yet.

Nottalotta Mon 16-Oct-17 20:00:30

Ds1 was before and refused a bottle. He had a free flow sippy cup but it did take a while to get the hang of it. He is 2 now and uses a normal cup or a miracle 360 cup if I don't want spillages.

Ds1 is 8 months, mostly because but one bottle a day (I was determined not to have another bottle refuser) he's had a go with his brothers miracle cup and got some out of it. Also got on well with the nuby grip n sip

furryelephant Mon 16-Oct-17 20:06:15

DD is 11 months and until about 9 months she couldn't figure it out either, tried loads of sippy cups and she'd get water in her mouth then spit it back out! Then one day I offered her the munchkin 360 one (after putting it in the back of the cupboard thinking it was useless) and she picked it up and drank the whole thing grin
So basically, one day it'll all suddenly fall into place. I thought of it as a new skill that can just take a few months of practice.

Eminado Mon 16-Oct-17 20:07:46

Try a cup with a straw

MoHunter Tue 17-Oct-17 13:34:25

Gotta second the munchkin 360, use it for my Bf DS2 and he picked it up really quickly. Good luck!

DaisyRaine90 Tue 17-Oct-17 14:04:08

Tommee tippee sippy cups. Went straight from breast to them with DD x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now