Talk

Advanced search

Feeding patterns- my baby won't stop eating!

(9 Posts)
katescarlett Mon 16-Oct-17 02:03:50

Hi,

My baby is 3 weeks old today, and was born a month early. He has a bit of a routine already established in that he feeds every 2-3 hours for 5-15 minutes. Tonight he literally will not stop eating. He has been latching on and off for the last few hours with tiny breaks in between. Surely he cannot still be hungry when he has pooped and his tummy is still so small? I’m anxious about putting him down to bed as he is surely going to be sick?

Thanks in advance!

Changerofname987654321 Mon 16-Oct-17 02:12:51

Is he breast feed? Breast milk is so easily digested that he can digest it as fast as he feeds. It is entirely normal for babies to cluster feed and just suggests he is going to have a growth spurt soon. It is such hard work.

If he is a sicky baby you can try holding him up for 30 mins after a feed.

ICJump Mon 16-Oct-17 02:13:43

Babies frequently change feeding patterns. The on off on off feeding help increase you supply. Just go with the flow and have a quite couple of days

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 16-Oct-17 02:16:45

My dd did this every evening for weeks! I would hand express a little though just to confirm your supply. She won’t eat more than she needs don’t worry.

katescarlett Mon 16-Oct-17 02:23:12

Yes, DS is breastfed. Thanks for this - will keep going then! 💤

calamityjam Mon 16-Oct-17 02:23:34

Almost every baby does this. Its to stimulate your supply for a growth spurt. It will calm down again in a couple of days.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 16-Oct-17 02:29:27

he sorry!

BerryBee Tue 17-Oct-17 12:40:47

Yes, totally normal. It's called cluster feeding. It can be quite draining...so try and embrace it. Get comfy on the sofa, something good on the tv, snacks and water.
The Kelly mom website has lots of useful info on cluster feeding and other bf issues.

Well done Op. bf not easy!

Belleende Thu 19-Oct-17 08:12:17

Hunker down. Normally only lasts a day or two, but will happen fairly regularly until around 3 months or so when it should settle down a bit.
Get yourself a sofa pack. Wet wipes, lots of muslins, remote control, book, phone, biscuits, water. All to be within reach at all times. Sit back and enjoy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now