Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tooth brushing help

(18 Posts)
xxxParisexxx Sun 15-Oct-17 09:11:20

Hi all my little one will be 2 in January and I'm finding it increasingly difficult to manage to brush her teeth and it's so difficult battling her twice a day.
I have tried songs, singing, brushing a teddys teeth, watching tv or my phone with songs on but no luck. She lets me start (after running away seeing the brush) but then started hitting with her hands and swinging her head side to side.
The only way I can get them done is laying and down and putting my leg lightly across her arms and chest and just get it done. Is there an easier way. She gets so upset and tbh I hate it and makes me upset that I have to pin my little girl to do her teeth sad x

Cutesbabasmummy Sun 15-Oct-17 09:46:42

We have twice daily struggles with our almost three year old. One if us holds him and the other one tries to get the toothbrush in as gently as possible! I think it's common. Apps etc haven t worked here. He's wise to it all!

Coconut0il Sun 15-Oct-17 12:24:15

We have exactly the same issue here with DS2, 2. I basically have to sit on him. It's very stressful, hoping he'll grow out of it soon!

MadeForThis Sun 15-Oct-17 12:48:25

We get her teddies to watch her getting her teeth brushed so they can learn. We count her teeth. We make noises like growling. We say aahhh really loud so granny can hear.
And this is with a DD that loves getting her teeth brushed most days.
We constantly have to change where we brush teeth. She picks what room. Bed or floor or knees.
She always has to have her turn first.
New tooth brush every couple of weeks as they get so chewed.
It's hard work but if it all fails I pin her down and get on with it. At least when she's shouting the teeth can be brushed.

Cracklesfire Sun 15-Oct-17 13:53:22

My DS is the same - cartoons help a bit and we use two toothbrushes but he generally just chews & sucks water off the one he holds. I use the other to clean his teeth when he takes his brush out to rinse it.

Newdad19 Sun 15-Oct-17 13:55:48

We were exact same at that age and thought we would never get through it with DS. The only thing that he actually would brush along to was the Elmo teethbrush song on youtube.

Its tough but persevere and you really wont traumautise them by forcing them either.

Neverenoughspoons Sun 15-Oct-17 13:59:47

My son is a bit better now he's 3. I used a chewable brush from Brush Baby when he was younger, so that at least if he wouldn't let me brush them properly with a normal brush, they were getting cleaned with the chewable one.

Ikabod Sun 15-Oct-17 15:02:08

The threat of a letter to the tooth fairy telling her that DD hasn't brushed her teeth often has immediate effect. I also tell her that if she doesn't brush the food goo off her teeth, slugs will come and live in her mouth. She is sceptical but doesn't want to risk it grin

Pooshweens Sun 15-Oct-17 15:10:05

It's a nightmare isnt it!

Best tactic for us recently is to do role play where DH pretends to call Dr Dentist as DD has toothache, then daddy leaves the room and comes back as Dr Dentist brush her teeth and so on

xxxParisexxx Sun 15-Oct-17 15:12:46

Iv tried the Elmo song lol and also brushing teddies/ role play. She is just getting worse and worse and now I'm worried iv caused it by forcing her x

Orangebird69 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:16:48

My just 2yo is a bloody nightmare. I give him his toothbrush to chew on when he's in the bath which he does happily. After the bath, I sit him on my lap facing outwards, use my left hand to hold his head and then forcibly clean his teeth using my right hand. It's not fun and I'm hoping he'll grow out of it soon. He's right ad rain as soon as we're done and I go over the top with praise as soon as I finished. It's a non negotiable for me.

Tralala33 Sun 15-Oct-17 15:20:05

I bought an Apple mint flavour toothpaste from Boots and let my DS choose a new toothbrush.
He went from having to be pinned down to willingly letting me brush. It was the flavour of his previous toothpaste that made him fight it.

Mehfruittea Sun 15-Oct-17 15:31:02

From the moment DS was strong enough to move away and hide, toothbrushing was hell. Twice a day battle, we also literally tried everything. Everything that has been mentioned and more. Those giant teeth and tooth brush sets for the dentist. Reward charts. Actual medals with name and toothbrush engraved. Punishments. Everything.

All I can say is the only thing we didn't do was give up. Even when we didn't get the brush in his mouth for weeks at a time, it still remained in our routine and it was not going away. Eventually, at about 3 1/2 he just took the brush and did it himself one day. I held my breath and finished off. Since then it's got a whole lot easier. We still get tantrums and refusal, but about as often as for any other task.

We didn't give up. Perseverance is the only thing I can recommend. And wine. wine Good luck!

SeaToSki Sun 15-Oct-17 15:33:34

Mine hated mint toothpaste, I round a mango flavoured one that made a big difference. We also brush the Rs and Es. Rs are back teeth and Es are front teeth. The mouth opens to the correct shape when you make the sound, and its a bit easier than just saying open your mouth. Another option is to chase the sugar bugs and then pretend you got one with the toothbrush. My boys liked to imaging the sugar bugs dying by being splatted by the brush, by being zapped by the brush or drowning in spit and toothpaste...they were quite gory at that age!

xxxParisexxx Sun 15-Oct-17 15:42:52

I have got a Apple toothpaste in case it was the mint and still the same. It's so hard this parenting lark , u even feel guilty when u are trying to do the right thing like their teeth!!! X

Ilovevegas Mon 16-Oct-17 14:00:28

My 3 year old DD is the same confused she says the toothpaste is 'Yucky' I hadn't realised you could buy apple/mango ones so will definitely be doing that!

What works for us at the moment is we swap. She 'brushes' my teeth bloody uncomfortable & pokes me everywhere & I do hers!! Not ideal for me but she lets me do it!

Hoping it's just a stage.

Ohyesiam Mon 16-Oct-17 15:10:43

It's s nightmare isn't it?
We any down to once a day, providing he was eating no sugar. He's 10 now with no fillings, so it must have done the job.

xxxParisexxx Tue 17-Oct-17 14:03:42

Defiantly a nightmare! Iv had success last two days though!! I have let her hold my phone which I normally don't allow and watch a music video on u tube. grin I think the novelty of holding the phone is working atm x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now